Minute books, membership rolls, account books, correspondence, printed material and ephemera for this state militia unit.
Organized March 31, 1854, the City Guard was composed partly of men from the First California Guard, "originally organized
as a train of artillery, and exercised in the standing gun drill, besides drilling with muskets," which had existed since
1849. In early 1854, many of the members decided on the formation of a new organization, the First California Guard having
changed to a horse battery, and members disliking the manner of command of their new captain, but desiring to retain the old
form of organization. At their meeting of March 31, 1854, the members of the newly formed City Guard elected officers, and
John A. Clark was made Captain.