This collection contains manuals, plans, reports, and videotapes used by or about the Valley Medical Center.
The County Board of Supervisors first established a County Hospital in 1860, as part of its overall responsibility for "county
welfare". In 1871, the County purchased the current hospital site, then well outside of San Jose. The hospital expanded
greatly in size over the years, and it became a teaching hospital in 1913. In 1996, the hospital name was changed to the
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. In 1993, the hospital and the County Health Department were merged to create the Santa
Clara Valley Health and Hospital System (SCVHHS).