Box 2: Personal Papers and Photographs
Scope and contents
- Personal Papers, [1937-1941] Undated registration card for a correspondence course at Indiana University, undated newspaper
clipping about archaeological findings in Mexico, a letter dated April 8, 1937, from the National Rifle Association attempting
to identify a gun owned by the Gila County Museum (?), and a May, 1941 copy of "The Mountain Canary"- a newsletter published
by the Globe Business and Professional Women's Club (of which Vickrey was a member).
- Photographs: Besh-Ba-Gowah Excavation Site, [1935-1940] Thirteen photographs of the excavation site. Three are numbered "Picture
#4, W.P. 516," "Picture #5, W.P. 516," and "Picture #6, W.P. 516."
- Photographs: Besh-Ba-Gowah Room Excavations, [1935-1940] 32 photographs of room excavations. Many are numbered according to
room (nos. 4, 5, 16, 18, 20, 21, 51, 56, 65, 95, 121, 123, 130, 144 are represented) and have descriptive information about
the type and location of walls. Two photographs are labeled "Picture #1, W.P. 516" and "Picture #2, W.P. 516"; one is simply
labeled "Room A." There are also eight unnumbered photographs.
- Photographs: Landscapes, [1935-1940] 15 photographs of landscapes. Six are of a decrepit log cabin. None of the photos appear
to be of the Besh-Ba-Gowah site.
- Photographs: Ceramics and Implements Display - Gila County Museum, [1938?] 29 photographs, mainly of whole pots and pottery
shards. It is not clear if any of the pottery or implements photographed are from the Besh-Ba-Gowah site. Only one photograph
is labeled: "Gila Co. Museum, Gila Arizona. Showing archaeological, geological and historical displays." A second is labeled
"Picture #8 W.P. 516." Several are stamped with the number 21.
- Photographs: Ceramics Processing - Gila County Museum, [1938?] 24 photographs showing women working with ceramics. Only one
photograph is clearly labeled with a Works Progress Administration stamp that indicates date photo was taken (11/9/38), project
number (1102), city (Globe, Arizona), county (Gila), title (Gila County Museum), and descriptive caption ("Pottery being reconstructed
and mended. The completed olla at right is one of the largest found at Besh-Ba-Gowah.").
- Photographs: Vickrey (?) at Excavation Site, [1935-1940]