Title: Connexxus/Centro de Mujeres collection
Date (inclusive): 1985-1991
Collection number: 1848
16 boxes (11.5 ln. ft.)
Abstract: The Connexxus/Centro de Mujeres Collection contains the administrative records of Connexxus / Centro de Mujeres, one of the
first Los Angeles non-profit organizations that catered and provided services to lesbians.
Language: Finding aid is written in
University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections.
Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Restrictions on Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Restrictions on Use and Reproduction
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UCLA Library,
Department of Special Collections. Literary rights, including copyright,
are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of
the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the
copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC
Regents do not hold the copyright.
Processed by Tiffany-Kay Sangwand, September 2007 - February 2008
The Connexxus Collection was partially processed by Joy Novak and Yolanda Retter at the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center.
Additional boxes of unprocessed materials were later found at the June L. Mazer Lesbian Archive which were processed and integrated
with previously processed material by Tiffany-Kay Sangwand under the auspices of the Center for the Study of Women from September
2007 to February 2008. The collection is now under the custody of UCLA Center for the Study of Women, not the UCLA Chicano
Studies Research Center.
[Identification of item], Connexxus/Centro de Mujeres collection (Collection Number 1848). Department of Special Collections,
Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.
Historical note (version 2) by Tiffany-Kay Sangwand
In early 1984, Adel Martinez and Lauren Jardine conceived the idea behind Connexxus, a women-run center in Los Angeles that
provides quality and comprehensive services that cater to women, particularly lesbians. In May 1984, Martinez, Jardine, and
a group of women met in the home of Vivian Brown to discuss the idea and how to bring it into fruition. They envisioned a
space in which lesbians could thrive professionally, personally, and socially.
In January 1985, Connexxus opened its doors on Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood. Connexxus' initial space was a 1400
square foot facility with ten rooms which served as a space for a library, workshops, rap groups, counseling, meetings, and
other social activities. Lauren Jardine, Ph.D. was hired as the Executive Director. Connexxus operated under the non-profit
auspices of Southern California Women for Understanding until receiving its own 501(c)(3) non-profit organization status in
Connexxus operated for six years out of West Hollywood. In 1986, it opened Connexxus East / Centro de Mujeres, a satellite
location in East Los Angeles. Connexxus offered a variety of services at its two locations including referrals, support groups,
the Alliance (Connexxus Business and Professional Women's Alliance), the West Coast Lesbian Collection / June Mazer Lesbian
Archive, counseling / therapy services, workshops, social events, and a coffeehouse. Connexxus East specifically did outreach
to Latina lesbians in East L.A. Connexxus also collaborated with a number of other non-profit organizations in Los Angeles,
such as Southern California Women for Understanding (SCWU), Alcoholism Center for Women (ACW), and Lesbian Central at the
Gay and Lesbian Community Services Center (currently the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center).
At its peak, Connexxus operated on a budget of over $200,000, which was anomalous among grassroots lesbian organizations at
the time. Their funding was made possible from the City of West Hollywood, donations from the women who utilized its services
and gay men who were allies.
When Connexxus opened, it filled the vacuum for a women / lesbian public space in Los Angeles. During its six years of operation,
other specialized organizations and businesses emerged to serve the dynamic Los Angeles lesbian population. This was reflected
in a decline of Connexxus users; in 1990 Connexxus decided to cease operations. Two of its programs, the June Mazer Lesbian
Archive and Connexxus East, remained open and operated independently after Connexxus' closing.
Historical note (version 1) by Joy Novak
In 1984, a group of lesbian activists led by Del Martínez and Lauren Jardine founded Connexxus Women's Center/Centro de Mujeres.
Connexxus was first located on Santa Monica Boulevard and later on La Cienega Boulevard in West Hollywood. At its peak, Connexxus
operated on a budget of over $200,00, which was unheard of in grassroots lesbian organizations.
Connexxus programs included referrals, a variety of supports groups, a business alliance, mental health services, workshops,
social events, dances and a program for Latina lesbians in East Los Angeles. Connexxus also co-sponsored the first Latina
Lesbian Mental Health Conference in 1986. In 1987 Connexxus took over the management of the West Coast Lesbian Collection,
which was moved from Oakland and was renamed the June Mazer Lesbian Archive.
Connexxus collaborated with other community groups such as SCWU (Southern California Women for Understanding), ACW (Alcoholism
Center for Women) and Lesbian Central at the Gay and Lesbian Community Services Center (now the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center).
Connexxus closed in 1990.
||First meeting led by Lauren Jardine and Adel Martinez to discuss the idea of Connexxus.
||Connexxus opens its doors on 9054 Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood.
||First Board of Directors meeting with Carol Anderson, Beverly Cook, Jeanne Cordova, Sue Dell, Adel Martinez, June Mazer, Anne
Mosbergen, Pat Pimentel, Carol Przbycien, Terry Scannell, Pepper Sheaffer, Sharon Siegel, Karen Sterling, Linda Wineland and
Judith Wright. Adel Martinez served as the first Board President.
||Connexxus gains 501(c)(3) non-profit organization status.
||Counseling / therapy services first offered.
||Receives grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and the California Arts Council to host writer and performance artist,
Terry Wolverton, as an artist-in-residence.
||The Alliance (Connexxus Business and Professional Women's Alliance, CBPWA) holds its first meeting.
||Connexxus Connects Us, a documentary on Connexxus airs on Falcon Cable television.
||Connexxus Latina lesbian rap groups meet at El Centro in East Los Angeles.
||Connexxus purchases Bunches of Balloons, a for-profit business as part of its Economic Empowerment Project.
||Connexxus co-sponsors Latina Lesbian Mental Health Conference
||Connexxus adopts West Coast Lesbian Collections
||Connexxus co-sponsors Boundary Dilemmas in the Client-Therapist Relationship: A Working Conference for Lesbian Therapists
|January 15, 1987
||Board member June Mazer passes away due to cancer
||The June Mazer Lesbian Collections (formerly the West Coast Lesbian Collections) made available to the public
||Connexxus Softball Team plays in the West Hollywood Women's Athletic League
||Connexxus East opens in El Centro Human Services Corporation in East Los Angeles
||Founders Lauren Jardine, Executive Director, and Del Martinez, Board President, retire from Connexxus. Pat Martel is elected
new Board President.
||Five Plus Connexxus campaign begins.
||Denise Wheeler named new Executive Director.
|May 19, 1988
||Connexxus hosts "Courage to Heal: A presentation for Child Sexual Abuse Survivors" by Ellen Bass and Laura Davis.
||Connexxus moves to facility located at 1017 N. La Cienega Boulevard in West Hollywood.
||Cheryl Mendoza, Ph.D, is hired as new Clinical Director.
||Connexxus / Centro de Mujeres awarded Community Organization of the Year by Gay and Lesbian Latinos Unidos.
||The June Mazer Lesbian Collections move to 626 N. Robertson Boulevard in West Hollywood.
|March 11, 1989
||Connexxus and Southern California Women for Understanding co-sponsor "Passionate Politics: Lesbian-Feminism for the '90s"
with feminist thinker and activist Charlotte Bunch.
||Wahneeta Pacheco named new Assistant Director
|May 29, 1989
||June Mazer Lesbian Collections Archivist Bunny MacCulloch passes away.
||Campaign SAVE CONNEXXUS! begins.
||Connexxus announces that it will be closing in June 1990.
||The Latina Lesbian Support Group announces their formal separation from Connexxus and Connexxus East.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.