Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
San Francisco Museum Of Science And Industry Records, 1926-1953
HDC 1033  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (80.03 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Summary
  • Indexing Terms
  • Information for Researchers
  • Agency History
  • Scope and Content Note
  • Organization

  • Summary

    Title: San Francisco Museum Of Science And Industry Records,
    Date (inclusive): 1926-1953
    Collection No: HDC 1033
    Creator: San Francisco Museum of Science and Industry
    Extent: 4.2 linear feet
    Repository: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park (Calif.)
    Historic Documents Department
    Building E, Fort Mason
    San Francisco, California 94123
    Abstract: Files of the San Francisco Museum of Science & Industry-Marine Section, predecessor of the San Francisco Maritime Museum (1940-1953). This collection of correspondence files was originally divided into two sections, subject and general (1940-1949). The files were left in their original order. Much of the correspondence involves Alma de Brettville Spreckels, Honorary Chairman of the S.F. Museum of Science and Industry, Dr. Howard M. McKinley, Director of the Museum and Walter J. Walsh, Board Member & Attorney for the Museum. The collection also contains two visitor's logbooks.
    Language: English.

    Indexing Terms

    The following are indexing terms related to the description of this collection.
    Spreckels, Alma de Bretteville, 1881-1968.
    San Francisco Museum of Science and Industry.
    Historic ships--California--San Francisco Bay Area.
    San Francisco Maritime Museum.
    Ship models.
    Visitors' books.
    Correspondence.

    Information for Researchers

    Access Information

    Access:
    The collection is open for research use. No restrictions noted in the collection record. There may be specific access restrictions noted at lower levels or in the collection file.

    Conditions of Use

    Use:
    The San Francisco Maritime NHP possesses physical property rights through ownership of the materials. However, copyright may reside with the individual or corporate body responsible for the creation of the materials, or with their heirs. It is the user's responsibility to respect the provisions of the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code). Permission to reproduce or publish from this collection must be secured by the user from the copyright holders.
    Preferred Citation:
    [Item description], HDC 1033, [Location within collection organization identified by series number, file unit number, item number], San Francisco Museum Of Science And Industry Records, 1926-1953 , San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park.

    Custodial History

    Custodial History:
    The records were created by the San Francisco Museum of Science and Industry, a predecessor organization to the San Francisco Maritime Museum Association, which held them until their donation to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area's National Maritime Museum in October 1984. They were subsequently transferred to the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park on its establishment in 1988.
    Immediate Source of Acquisition:
    Golden Gate National Recreation Area under accession SAFR-1 , transferred internally from another National Park Service unit.

    Processing/Project Information

    Processing and Cataloging:
    Processed by Mary Gentry.
    Completed in October 2002.
    ANCS+ Catalog No. SAFR 9906.

    This number links the collection to the ANCS+ catalog record and documentation. A portion of the ANCS+ catalog record can be viewed on the NPS Museum Collections Web Catalog by searching for the above number at http://www.museum.nps.gov/safr/page.htm.

    Agency History

    The idea for the creation of the San Francisco Museum of Science and Industry grew out of a marine exhibit at the Golden Gate International Exposition, held on Treasure Island, San Francisco, in 1939-1940. Ship models, assembled by shipping executive Edward S. Clark, and prints were included in the display. After the Exposition was over, the models and prints were gathered and displayed at the Merchants Exchange Building at 465 California Street in San Francisco, in October 1940. A committee of public-spirited citizens, led by Mrs. Adolph B. Spreckles, sponsored the exhibit, which lasted 6 months.
    In May of 1941, the San Francisco Museum of Science and Industry was opened, in space at the Aquatic Park Center bath house, which was offered to the new Museum by the San Francisco Park Commission. Future plans for the Museum were to include exhibits of land and air transportation, mining and other industrial and scientific collections as well as native handicraft items. The Museum was hoped to be a center of research for scientists, as well as the general public.
    When the U.S. entered World War II, the Aquatic Park Center bath house became a center for anti-aircraft forces. The Museum was dismantled to make room for the Army. The fledgling collections were housed for a short time in the California Palace of the Legion of Honor. The ship models were later loaned to the Maritime Commission to aid in training personnel. After the indoctrination courses were discontinued, the models were made available at the Aquatic Park Center bath house for the benefit of the service men. After the war, the Marine Section of the San Francisco Museum of Science and Industry was opened, again in the bath house. The marine exhibit remained at the bath house until 1949.
    The original collection of models and prints were later augmented with more models, historic documents, including photographs, books and various types of nautical equipment.

    Scope and Content Note

    Files of the San Francisco Museum of Science & Industry-Marine Section, predecessor of the San Francisco Maritime Museum (1940-1953).
    This collection of correspondence files was originally divided into two sections, subject and general (1940-1949). The files were left in their original order. Much of the correspondence involves Alma de Brettville Spreckles, Honorary Chairman of the S.F. Museum of Science and Industry, Dr. Howard M. McKinley, Director of the Museum and Walter J. Walsh, Board Member & Attorney for the Museum.
    The collection also contains two visitor's logbooks. One volume dated from August 22, 1941 to June 24, 1943. The other volume is from October 24, 1940 to August, 24 1941, with additional material from June 9, 1953 to June 11, 1953 included at the end.

    Organization

    Organized in three series, as follows: Series 1: Correspondence; Series 2: Miscellaneous Records; Series 3: Visitors Logbooks.