Files of the San Francisco Museum of Science & Industry-Marine Section, predecessor of the San Francisco Maritime Museum (1940-1953).
This collection of correspondence files was originally divided into two sections, subject and general (1940-1949). The files
were left in their original order. Much of the correspondence involves Alma de Brettville Spreckels, Honorary Chairman of
the S.F. Museum of Science and Industry, Dr. Howard M. McKinley, Director of the Museum and Walter J. Walsh, Board Member
& Attorney for the Museum. The collection also contains two visitor's logbooks.
The idea for the creation of the San Francisco Museum of Science and Industry grew out of a marine exhibit at the Golden Gate
International Exposition, held on Treasure Island, San Francisco, in 1939-1940. Ship models, assembled by shipping executive
Edward S. Clark, and prints were included in the display. After the Exposition was over, the models and prints were gathered
and displayed at the Merchants Exchange Building at 465 California Street in San Francisco, in October 1940. A committee of
public-spirited citizens, led by Mrs. Adolph B. Spreckles, sponsored the exhibit, which lasted 6 months.