This service was established by the U.S. government as the Foreign Broadcast Monitoring Service, a unit within the Federal
Communications Commission, in February 1941. It recorded, translated, analyzed, and reported to other agencies of the U.S.
government on broadcasts of foreign origin. It set up listening posts at Silver Hill, Maryland; London; San Francisco; Portland,
Oregon; Kingsville, Texas; San Juan, Puerto Rico; and other places to intercept broadcasts of foreign news, intelligence,
or propaganda emanating from authorized stations and clandestine transmitters in belligerent, occupied, and neutral countries.