Guide to the Charles Darwin / Evolution Collection
Guide to the Charles Darwin / Evolution Collection, ca. 1786-1968 [bulk dates 1840s-1920s]
Collection Number: Mss 28Department of Special Collections
University of California, Santa Barbara
- Department of Special Collections
- Davidson Library
- University of California, Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara, CA 93106
- Phone: (805) 893-3062
- Fax: (805) 893-5749
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://www.library.ucsb.edu/speccoll/
- Processed by:
- D. Tambo and E. Fields
- Latest Revision:
- Feb. 13, 2012
- Encoded by:
- Jace R. Turner; A. Demeter
- Series I: Tylor Family (Boxes 1-3). Contains two subseries, the first of which is Books, described in the Eaton list "Diaries and Letters Belonging to Sir Edward and Lady Tylor" [copy in Box 1]. Includes diaries of Anna Tylor, wife of Edward Burnett Tylor, noted Oxford anthropologist and Darwinian. Also books of extracts and photo albums. The second subseries is Tylor Family Papers, described in the Eaton list: "Sir Edward Burnett Tylor, F.R.S. and Alfred Tylor: Manuscript Material and Letters"), which mainly contains correspondence among the various family members.
- Series II: Manuscripts, Letters, and Ephemera (Boxes 4-6). Arranged alphabetically by surname of author/correspondent; described in the Eaton list of the same title [copy in Box 4]. Also contains some unlisted items apparently laid in books acquired as part of the collection; quotes are from the Eaton list. Includes material by Bernard Darwin, Charles Darwin, Francis Darwin, Thomas Henry Huxley, John Stuart Mill, Richard Owen, Herbert Spencer, and Marie Stopes.
- Series III: Pamphlets and Other Uncataloged Printed Ephemera (Box 7). Arranged alphabetically by surname of author or by title, mainly uncataloged items from the printed portion of the collection. Includes material by Charles Darwin and Robert Waring Darwin.
- Series IV: Julian Huxley Papers (Boxes 8-9). Includes manuscripts and articles by Julian Huxley, as well as his personal copies of writings by others, many inscribed to Huxley or with notes by him. Described in the Eaton list: "Sir Julian Huxley, F.R.S." [copy in Box 8].
- Series V: Miscellany (Box 10). Includes extract book, newspaper clippings, material on the Darwin Centennial.
- Series VI: Oversize Materials (Box 11). Engravings, including Charles Darwin, Thomas Henry Huxley, Herbert Spencer, and John Tyndall.
- The manuscript materials listed in this guide are part of a much larger printed collection which includes several hundred volumes of rare first and early editions of Charles Darwin's works and others supporting or opposing theories of evolution and related issues. These have been cataloged separately and can be searched in Pegasus, the UCSB online catalog.
- The Darwin Papers. Microfilm, from Research Publications International.
- Huntington Library. Works of Charles Darwin, his contemporaries and followers. More than 1500 volumes, donated by Warren D. Mohr.
- University of Virginia. Papers relating to the history of the theory of evolution, 1771-1921; 153 items (author listed as Charles Darwin). Chiefly correspondence by or about men who contributed to the development of the theory of evolution.
- American Museum of Natural History. The AMNH Darwin Manuscripts Project: http://darwin.amnh.org/
- Darwinian Homepage, BiologyBase, http://www.interaktv.com/DARWIN/Darwin.html
- Darwin Papers, Cambridge University Library, http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/MSS/Darwin.html
- Darwin Project, http://javalab.cs.uni-bonn.de/research/darwin/darwin_eng.html
Series I: Tylor Family
Scope and Content Note
Diaries of Anna Tylor
Scope and Content Note
Extracts (quotes from other authors)
v. 1, n.d.
v. 2, n.d.
v. 3, n.d.
v. 4, 1849
v. 5, 1855
E. B. Tylor Diaries
Notes and Sketches (describing trip to southern Italy), ca. 1858
1861 (includes record of his readings)
Museum House (Oxford) Guest Register, 1883-1915
Tylor family (mostly carte de visite format, with note at back dated 1861)
Vol. VIII (mostly carte de visite format, several of Fox, Morse, and Tylor family members), 1875
Tylor Family Papers
Eaton List: "Sir Edward Burnett Tylor, F.R.S. and Alfred Tylor: Manuscript Material and Letters" (copy; includes information about items in this section of the Tylor Family series)
To Juliet Tylor Morse, 1877-1878
To Sydney Morse, 1878
To Edward B. Tylor, 1857-1868
Anna Fox Tylor
To Mary Fox, 1861
To Sarah Fox, ca. 1861
To Juliet Tylor Morse, n.d.
To Edward B. Tylor, ca. 1857
To Isabella Harris Tylor, ca. 1861-1901
Edward B[urnett] Tylor
To Juliet Tylor Morse, 1868
To Alfred Tylor, 1861-1878
To Anna Fox Tylor, ca. 1857-1884
To Isabella Harris Tylor, 1901, n.d.
Isabella Harris Tylor
To Juliet Tylor Morse, 1877-1904
To Sydney Morse, ca. 1878-1886
To Alfred Tylor, ca. 1878-1883
To Anna Fox Tylor, 1877-1878
To Edward B. Tylor, 1857
To J. J. Tylor and W. A. Tylor, ca. 1868
J[oseph] J[ohn] Tylor
To Sydney and Juliet Morse, 1871, 1878
Correspondence and related material concerning the death of J. J. Tylor, 1901
A. E. and W. A. Tylor to Juliet Tylor Morse, 1877
To E. B. and A. F. Tylor, 1868, 1905
Legal Papers (mainly dealing with partnerships and other financial matters), 1839-1857
Ephemera (mainly notes and references to letters), 1857-1868
Series II: Manuscripts, Letters, and Ephemera
Eaton List: "Manuscripts, Letters, and Ephemera" (copy; includes information about items in this series)
Allen, Charles Grant Blairfindie (1848-1899), 1898
Argyll, Duke of, 1884
Bates, Henry Walter (1825-1892), 1891
Beddard, Frank Evers (1858-1925)
General, 1899-1902, 1919
Cambridge University Note Book (Zoology class by Prof. Minchin), Oct. 1904
News Cuttings (bound volume), 1887-1895
Boase, Henry Samuel (1799-1883), 1828
Bradley, G. G., 1882
Buckland, William (1784-1856), 1839, n.d.
Darwin, Bernard, 1850, [1855?]
Darwin, Charles (1809-1882)
1 ALS, 7 Oct. 1876
1 ALS, 16 Apr. 1879
University of Edinburgh (copies of lecture notices), 1825-1826
Journal (photostat), 1827
Signature (clipped), n.d.
"A Zoological Walk" (typescript), n.d.
Photograph (1 b/w, later in life) and signature, n.d.
Photographs (2 b/w, later in life), n.d.
Darwin, Francis (1848-1925)
Correspondence - 2 ALS, 1909, n.y.
Darwin Centennial (program and clipping), 1909
Farrar, Frederic William (1831-1903; Farrar suggested Westminster Abbey as Darwin's burial place; he was one of the pall-bearers and preached a notable funeral sermon on Darwin's work and character), 
Gaynor, Alfred E. H. (includes birth record, handwritten drafts of a number of essays, and printed material; see Eaton description for further information), 1864, 1895, n.d.
Geikie, Archibald (1835-1924), 1895
Haeckel, Ernst Heinrich (1834-1919), 1879, 1892
Hamilton, Mary Agnes, 1943
Henslow, John Stevens, n.d.
Hooker, Joseph Dalton (1817-1911), ca. 1876-1921
Huxley, Thomas Henry (1825-1895; includes correspondence and 1 carte de visite), ca. 1869-1880
Lankester, Edwin (1814-1874), 1847, 1865
Lyell, Charles (1797-1875), [1848?]
Marriott, R.A., 1918, 1929
Mill, John Stuart (1 carte de visite), n.d.
Murchison, [Roderick ?] (1 carte de visite), n.d.
Nettleship, Edward (1845-1913), 1910
Owen, Richard (1804-1892; includes correspondence and 1 carte de visite), 1842-1889, n.d.
Parsons, John Herbert (includes drafts of essays), ca. 1918-1949
Picton, [J. Allanson?], 1879
Powys, Theodore Francis (1875-1953; contains "Extract from long discussion with Huxley"), n.d.
Sedgwick, Adam (1785-1873), n.d.
Seward, Albert Charles, 1938
Spencer, Herbert (1820-1903; includes 1 AN, 1 carte de visite, and notes by J. Parke Kirkman, re Spencer's The Study of Sociology), 1884, n.d.
Stephen, Leslie (1832-1904), 1893-1894
Stirling, James Hutchison (1820-1909), 1878
Stopes, Marie Charlotte Carmichael (1880-1958; includes correspondence, offprints, and clippings, mainly relating to E. W. MacBride's review of Stopes' work), ca. 1927-1937
Thomson, Wyville, n.d.
Tyndall, John (newspaper clippings and 1 carte de visite), ca. 1882-1893, n.d.
Wallace, Alfred Russel (1823-1913; includes correspondence and 1 photograph), 1870-1910
Wilson, James Hewetson (translator of Adrien de Jussieu's Elements of Botany; contains scrapbook with correspondence, documents, and printed material), 1849
Miscellany (includes items laid in cataloged volumes), ca. 1895-1947
Series III: Pamphlets and Other Uncataloged Printed Ephemera
Andre, R. (and the late Charles Darwin), 1898
Anti-Evolution Pamphlets (includes items from Back to the Bible Publishers, The Bible Christian Unity Fellowship, Central Bible Truth Depot, The Evolution Protest Movement, and the International Christian Crusade), most ca. 1962-1968
Carr-Saunders, A. M., 1942
Darwin, Robert Waring - New Experiments on the Ocular Spectra of Light and Colours, 1786
Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1797 ed. ("Animal" and "Natural History" sections)
Evolution Pamphlets (includes items from the Eugenics Review, The Society for the Study of Evolution, and press notices for Frances Swiney's Awakening of Women; or, Woman's Part in Evolution), ca. 1928-1947
Finch, A. Elley - The English Free-Thinkers of the Eighteenth Century, 1879
Haldane, J. B. S., 1926
Handbook of Conchology, 1839
Kropotkine, Pierre - The Place of Anarchism in Socialistic Evolution, n.d.
Library of Useful Knowledge - Outline of General History, Part I, 1828
Maumus, Abbe - La Cellule: Son Origine, 1912
Nineteenth Century (Review) - Articles
Pfaff, Friedrich, 1879, n.d.
Pycraft, W. P., 1931
Reclus, Elisee - Evolution and Revolution, 1892
Wallace, Alfred Russel - The 'Why' and 'How' of Land Nationalisation, 1883
Whittaker, E. T. - The Beginning and End of the World, 1942
Wilson, James M. - Problems of Religion & Science, 1903
Miscellany (includes an article by T. H. Huxley, "On the Advisableness of Improving Natural Knowledge"), n.d.
Series IV: Julian Huxley Papers
Eaton List (includes information about items in this series)
Manuscripts and Articles by Julian Huxley
"Eugenics and Society" (from Eugenics Review, with a few pencil markings), ca. 1936
"Evolution of Organisation by Joining Units in a Pattern" (typescript, with handwritten corrections), 1962
"Organized Thinking and Evolution" (galley proof of a review of C. H. Wadington, The Nature of Life, with handwritten corrections), ca. 1961
"Science and Religion" (typescript, signed by Huxley), n.d.
Fragments (two pages of a mimeographed piece entitled "Biology and Sociology" and several handwritten and typescript drafts of an unidentified piece beginning "In the last twenty-five years..."), n.d.
Notes (handwritten, in a variety of formats; many bibliographical references), n.d.
Articles and Related, by Others (arranged by surname of author; many with notes, underlining, and other markings by Huxley, and others with inscriptions or dedications to JH), ca. 1944-1965
Letters to Editors
Magazine and Newspaper Cuttings
Series V: Miscellany
Drawings by R. H. [?], n.d.
Extract book (mainly writings extracted from other sources), ca. 1856-1865
Newspaper clippings (mostly relating to Darwin), ca. 1880-1933
Series VI: Oversize
Charles Darwin, Thomas Henry Huxley, Herbert Spencer, and John Tyndall (set of 4 engravings)
"A Clinical Lecture by Charcot" (engraving)