Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Preliminary Guide to the Calamba Sugar Estate - Philippines Collection
Wyles Mss 137  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.70 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Access Restrictions
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Scope and Content of Collection

  • Title: Calamba Sugar Estate - Philippines Collection
    Date (inclusive): 1928-1943
    Collection number: Wyles Mss 137
    Extent: .2 linear feet (1 half-size document box)
    Repository: University of California, Santa Barbara. Library. Department of Special Collections
    Santa Barbara, California 93106-9010
    Physical location: Del Sur
    Language of Material: Collection materials in English

    Access Restrictions

    None.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to the Department of Special Collections, UCSB. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Department of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained.

    Preferred Citation

    Calamba Sugar Estate - Philippines Collection. Wyles Mss 137. Department of Special Collections, Davidson Library, University of California, Santa Barbara.

    Acquisition Information

    Purchase, 2005.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    The collection consists of 51 items from the papers of Hazel Kenward Pfleuger (whose husband was the forester O. W. Pfleuger) of Mont Alto and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, relating to investments in the Calamba Sugar Estate, in the Philippines, dated between 1928-1943.
    In June of 1912, a group of American businessmen from California organized the Calamba Sugar Estate and in this corporate name purchased an old estate owned by a series of religious orders (Jesuits and Dominicans) from the government. It started production in 1914. The corporation also planted coconuts and was quite successful with this. By 1934, 300,000 coconut trees had been with a yield of over 12 to 15 million coconuts yearly. After the Japanese takeover, the estate was plundered, looted and burned. The main office was burnt down together with all the records and books of accounts. It was later reopened after the war by local businessman Vicente Madrigal, then later sold to José Yulo.
    Most of the papers of this Philippine sugar plantation were destroyed during the Japanese occupation. The later letters of 1943 mention this. (Additional background information regarding the early history of the estate can be found in the collection file.)