The collection documents the activities of the Polish Armed Forces with a notable amount of materials focusing on the Armies’
activities in the Soviet Union. The collection is composed of correspondence, telegrams, memoranda, bulletins, reports, military
orders and instructions, personnel rosters, lists, charts, and maps relating to the Polish Army in the East and in the Soviet
Union, including the description of conditions and events in the Soviet Union. The collection provides details on the Polish
civil and military personnel in the Soviet Union. It includes information on relations of the Polish Armed forces in the Soviet
Union with the Soviet military command, and operations of various branches of the Polish Armed Forces in Eastern Europe and
the Middle East.
When World War II began, Polish Armed Forces (Polskie Sily Zbrojne) were outfitted with a fighting force that was approximately
one million strong. The initial 1939 invasion by Germany on September 1st and then later the Soviet Union on September 17th
resulted in the reformation of the Polish Armed Forces into three separate armies, spanning both eastern and western Poland:
The Polish Armed Forces in the West, the Home Army (Armia Krajowa) and the Polished Armed Forces in the East. The collection
of these divisions formed the whole of the Polish Armed Forces between 1940 and 1945.
10 manuscript boxes, 22 envelopes
(6.2 linear feet)
For copyright status, please contact the Hoover Institution Archives.
Collection is open for research.