Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Inventory of the Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company Records
MS 303  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (98.87 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Organization History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company records
    Dates: 1909-1925
    Collection number: MS 303
    Creator: Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company
    Collection Size: 2 flats
    Repository: University of California, Santa Cruz. University Library. Special Collections and Archives
    Santa Cruz, California 95064
    Abstract: This collection contains two ledger books from the Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company and one folder of miscellaneous business papers from 1928-1930.
    Physical location: Stored in Special Collections & Archives: Advance notice is required for access to the papers.
    Languages: Languages represented in the collection: English

    Access

    Collection open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Property rights reside with the University of California. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and their heirs. For permission to publish or to reproduce the material, please contact the Head of Special Collections and Archives.

    Preferred Citation

    Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company records. MS 303. Special Collections and Archives, University Library, University of California, Santa Cruz.

    Acquisition Information

    Gift of the Younger family.

    Organization History

    Eleven miles north of Santa Cruz on Highway 1, sits Davenport, the home of Pacific Cement and Aggregates, Inc, since 1965, Lone Star Industries Inc. The company started out in 1906 as the Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company when it bought the ancient kilns and lime strata developed by John Q. Packard and F. W. Billing. By 1907, the company had built its plant on it 6000 acre site about a mile below Davenport Landing, and the name of Davenport was given to the new cement company town that began to develop.
    In 1923 the Santa Cruz Portland Cement company purchased a narrow gauge electric railroad from a mine at Juneau, Alaska and installed it at Davenport, improving its method of hauling the limestone from quarry to plant.
    By 1934 the company had built tall storage silos at the plant and a steel pier which carried forced air pipes out through the lines, with pumps and air compressors. The Santacruzcement, the first bulk ship on the Pacific Coast and owned by the company, received her first load of cement at the new pier in 1934.
    On March 13, 1956, Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company was sold to Pacific Coast Aggregates.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    This collection contains two ledger books; Purchase Record, 1909-1921 and Segregated Inventory, 1921-1925.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Santa Cruz Portland Cement Co.--Archives
    Mines and mineral resources--California--Santa Cruz County
    Portland cement--California--Davenport
    Silica--California--Davenport