Eleven miles north of Santa Cruz on Highway 1, sits Davenport, the home of Pacific Cement and Aggregates, Inc, since 1965,
Lone Star Industries Inc. The company started out in 1906 as the Santa Cruz Portland Cement Company when it bought the ancient
kilns and lime strata developed by John Q. Packard and F. W. Billing. By 1907, the company had built its plant on it 6000
acre site about a mile below Davenport Landing, and the name of Davenport was given to the new cement company town that began
Property rights reside with the University of California. Literary rights are retained by the creators of the records and
their heirs. For permission to publish or to reproduce the material, please contact the Head of Special Collections and Archives.