The records of Travelers Aid Society of San Francisco document the organization's activities from its founding in 1914, through
its transition to Compass Community Services in 1995, and up to 2004. The bulk of the collection covers the years 1940-1989,
providing insight into the organization's shifting mission in response to changing social conditions. The collection contains
board and committee minutes and reports, correspondence, training manuals, subject files, and scrapbooks.
The origins of the Travelers Aid Society of San Francisco date back to 1893, when it was founded as a department of the Young
Women's Christian Association (YWCA). In 1914, it became an independent organization dedicated to assisting travelers drawn
by the Panama-Pacific International Exposition (PPIE) in San Francisco. Part of the National Travelers Aid Association, a
nationwide collection of societies located in most major US cities, Travelers Aid Society of San Francisco sought to protect
stranded people, especially women and children, from abuse or victimization upon arrival in urban centers. Though many Travelers
Aid programs were started by religious groups, the society is the oldest non-sectarian social welfare organization in the
3 cartons, 2 boxes, 1 flat box
(4.75 cubic ft.)
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts and archives must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist.
This collection is open for research. Access to psychiatric staff meeting minutes in Series 1, Subseries B are restricted
until 2085; copies of these files with names redacted are open for research.