The collection provides an overview of the San Francisco Jewish Community Center's activities between 1930, its incorporation,
and circa 1979. Files on the building campaign in the early 1930s, recreation, social, and educational programs, institutional
finances, board matters, and general administration comprise the bulk of the collection. In addition, there are materials
from the Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA), from which the SFJCC evolved, and from United Jewish Community Centers, the
coordinating body of the Marin, San Francisco, and Peninsula Jewish Community Centers that was formed in 1960.
San Francisco’s Young Men’s Hebrew Association (YMHA) was formed in 1877, and the city’s Young Women’s Hebrew Association
(YWHA) was formed in 1914. They combined in 1924. In 1933, the YM-YWHA became the city’s Jewish Community Center (JCC). In
1960, San Francisco’s JCC joined the United Jewish Community Centers (UJCC) of San Francisco, Marin County, and the Peninsula.
The city’s JCC has helped immigrants adjust, assimilate, and Americanize. In addition, it has provided resources for individuals
and families to express themselves culturally and physically, and it has changed its activities, directions, and locations
to help meet the needs of the community. The JCC has also sponsored many activities for those people who are serving in the
military during wartime and many holiday observances.
32 cartons, 2 boxes, 5 oversize boxes, and 2 oversize folders
(34.6 linear feet)
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for
any use rests exclusively with the user.
Collection is open for research.