Scope and Content of Collection
Title: Raymond Toole-Stott / W. Somerset Maugham Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1904-1974
Collection Number: Mss 143
3.4 linear feet
(6 boxes and 1 oversize box)
University of California, Santa Barbara. Library. Department of Special Collections
Santa Barbara, California 93106-9010
Physical Location: Del Sur (Boxes 1-6) and Del Sur Oversize (Box 7).
Copyright has not been assigned to the Department of Special Collections, UCSB. All requests for permission to publish or
quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections. Permission for publication is given
on behalf of the Department of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply
permission of the copyright holder, which also must be obtained.
Raymond Toole-Stott / W. Somerset Maugham Collection. Mss 143. Department of Special Collections, Davidson Library, University
of California, Santa Barbara.
Purchase, 1968, with subsequent donations and purchases to ca. 1984.
Raymond Toole-Stott (1910-1982) was a British author, journalist, civil servant, and bibliographer of circuses and W. Somerset
Maugham. He was author of
Maughamiana, the Writings of W. Somerset Maugham: Being a Handlist of Works by William Somerset Maugham and of His Contributions
to Certain Selected Periodicals...
(Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1950) [Spec PR6025.A86 Z99 1950],
The Writings of William Somerset Maugham, a Bibliography (London: Sole distributors: B. Rota, 1956) [Spec PR6025.A86 Z99 1956], and
A Bibliography of the Works of W. Somerset Maugham (London: Kaye & Ward <1973>) [Spec PR6025.A86 Z99 1973]. He also was author of several works on the circus, including the
Circus and Allied Arts: A World Bibliography (1958-1992) [Spec Z7514.C6 T6].
Scope and Content of Collection
The bulk of the collection was purchased in 1968, with some later additions from Toole-Stott and his estate, ca. 1972-1983,
and other small purchases to ca. 1984.
There is some correspondence to and from Maugham, but the collection primarily contains research files and drafts of Toole-Stott's
bibliographies on Maugham's writings.
The collection also includes nearly 300 first and signed editions of Maugham's works, which have been cataloged separately
and which can be searched on Pegasus, the UCSB Libraries online catalog.
Additional Maugham material in UCSB Special Collections:
- SC 199, Maugham, W. Somerset. 4 TLS and 1 ALS to Laurence Brander, author of Somerset Maugham: A Guide. Villa Mauresque, 1954-1958,
n.d. Also 1 picture postcard, portrait Maugham.
- SC 200, Maugham, W. Somerset. 1 TLS to Louis Blevine. Villa Mauresque, 21 Feb. 1964.
- SC 276, Searle, Alan (Secretary to Somerset Maugham). 2 TLS to Laurence Brander re Maugham. Villa Mauresque, 1963, 1966.
- SC 604, Maugham, William Somerset. 1 TLS to Miss [?] Hale. Villa Mauresque, 1 Sept. 1937.
- SC760, Maugham, W. Somerset. 1 signed b/w photograph with accompanying letter by Alan Searle, Maugham's secretary, 1969.
Significant Maugham collections are housed at other institutions, including:
- Boston University. Mugar Memorial Library, Department of Special Collections.
- British Library.
- Indiana University, Lilly Library.
- Library of Congress.
- New York Public Library. The Henry W. and Albert A. Berg Collection of English and American Literature.
- Stanford University, Green Library, Department of Special Collections.
- Texas A & M, Cushing Library. W. Somerset Maugham Collection.
- University of Texas, Austin, Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center.
- University of Western Australia Library. William Riley Collection of W. Somerset Maugham.
- Yale University, Beinecke Library. W. Somerset Maugham Collection (Gen Mss 263).
In addition to the Toole-Stott/Somerset Maugham Collection, UCSB Special Collections has a Toole-Stott Circus Collection,
containing manuscripts (PA Mss 14) and several hundred monographs, which have been cataloged separately and which can be searched
on Pegasus, the UCSB Libraries online catalog.