Scope and Contents
Title: Correspondence to/from Jesuit Fathers General, Rome, and California Mission Superiors and Provincials
Identifier/Call Number: 1002_1830-1932
California Jesuit Archives
Language of Material:
3.0 Linear feet
Date (inclusive): 1830-1932
Language of Materials:
Although the primary language used in the letters in this collection is Latin, some Italian is also used. A transcript of
each letter accompanies the item and sometimes a translation is included. Each item is briefly described in English in the
full collection guide available through the California Province Archives.
Scope and Contents
The collection is held in the first 6 boxes of 1002 Correspondence to/from Father General, 1830 to present. Original letters
received from Father General of the Society of Jesus in Rome form an historical resource of the governance of the California
Mission to 1909 and the California Province, 1909 to 1932. Each item is briefly described in English in the full collection
guide available through the California Province Archives. The letters sent to Father General are held in the Archivum Romanum
Societatis Iesu (ARSI) in Rome. Copies of this correspondence are available on compact disk along with a hard copy of the
index to the correspondence maintained in Rome.
The California Mission was established in Santa Clara by Italian Jesuits supported by the Turin Province. Michael Acccolti,
S.J. and John Nobili, S.J. arrived by ship in San Francisco in December 1849. The first Jesuit apostolate in California was
the establishment of a college in the old Mission Santa Clara which property Archbishop Joseph Alemany, Archbishop of San
Francisco, granted to the Jesuit Fathers in 1851. John Nobili directed the establishment and initial growth of Santa Clara
College from 1851 until his death in 1856. Father Nobili had been first asssigned to St. Joseph's Church in San Jose, 1849-1851.
The California Jesuits administered St. Joseph's Church until 1992 when the new Diocese of San Jose accepted the church as