Consists of correspondence; financial records and reports; planing committee minutes; San Francisco Recreation Commission
records; concert records, programs, and posters; scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings and ephemera; and photographs,
all of which were created or collected by the Stern Grove Festival Association (SGFA) between the years 1931 and 1984. Collection
materials document the inception, administration, and activities of the SGFA, and the history of the open-air concerts produced
by the organization in San Francisco since 1932. Significant figures represented include past SGFA presidents Rosalie Meyer
Stern, Elise S. Haas, and Rhoda H. Goldman; San Francisco Superintendent of Recreation Josephine D. Randall; and conductor
Arthur Fielder. The collection also contains professional photographs of performances by groups such as the San Francisco
Ballet and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, some of which were taken by Gabriel Moulin Studios.
In 1931 Rosalie Meyer Stern purchased a historic parcel of land situated at the intersection of Sloat Boulevard and 19th Avenue
in the southwestern portion of San Francisco. This twelve-acre tract was the only undeveloped area left on the former 160-acre
Greene family ranch, homesteaded in 1849. Located on the property was the Trocadero Inn, built in 1892. The inn enjoyed a
reputation during the 1890s as a fashionable recreation and picnic spot for prominent San Franciscans. The Trocadero, as it
was then called, offered such diversions as fishing and boating on a spring-fed lake, as well as food and lodging. By 1906,
however, the inn began to lose its appeal and gradually acquired an unsavory reputation. The inn finally closed in 1916 and
it was not until Rosalie Stern purchased the ranch that the inn regained its original splendor.
26 boxes, 17 oversize boxes (16 linear feet)
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from or otherwise use collection materials must be submitted in writing to the Director
of Library and Archives, North Baker Research Library, California Historical Society, 678 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA
94105. Consent is given on behalf of the California Historical Society as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission must be obtained from the copyright owner. Restrictions
also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Use of digital files is restricted to research and educational
Collection is open for research.