Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Laan Tau Mountain Camp Collection, 1924-1986
OCH/LTM  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (79.20 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Overview of the Collection
  • Historical Note:
  • Access Terms
  • Administrative Information
  • Arrangement of Materials:
  • Scope and Contents

  • Overview of the Collection

    Collection Title: Laan Tau Mountain Camp Collection
    Dates: 1924-1986
    Identification: OCH/LTM
    Creator: Laan Tau Mountain Camp Residents' Association
    Physical Description: 0.42 linear feet
    Language of Materials:

    English

    Chinese
    Repository: Old China Hands Archives
    Abstract: The Laan Tau (Lantau) Mountain Camp was a retreat above the city of Hong Kong dating back to 1925, which consisted of a number of stone cabins owned by both individuals and church organizations, and which served as a well-loved vacation spot for many foreigners in Hong Kong. The collection consists of the records of the Mountain Camp’s Residents’ Association, which includes meeting minutes, financial statements, records of building repairs, lists of owners, and correspondence related to the organization and management of the camp. Also included in the collection is a history of the Hongkong & Yaumati Ferry which took people to the Lantau island as well as a brief history of the camp from its inception to the 1970s compiled by Carter Morgan and including notes by Jean Moore, Mrs. D. Shilston, and G.S. Kennedy-Skipton.

    Historical Note:

    The Laan Tau (Lantau) Mountain Camp was built in 1925, in the mountains above Hong Kong, as a retreat for foreigners to escape the hot humid summers of South China. The camp consisted of a number of small stone huts, and over the years expanded to include a mess hall, swimming pool, watchman’s house and a house for laborers that served the camp. The camp closed during World War II and the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, and most of the buildings were heavily damaged during this period. They were repaired after the war, and the camp continued to house church groups and other vacationers throughout the 1970s and 1980s. The camp is now owned by the Methodist Church of Hong Kong.

    Access Terms

    This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.

    Genre/Form of Material:

    Paper records

    Administrative Information

    Processing Information:

    Jessica Geiser, 2013

    Conditions Governing Use:

    Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection has not been transferred to California State University, Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

    Conditions Governing Access:

    The collection is open for research use.

    Preferred Citation:

    [Identification of item], [date], Laan Tau Mountain Camp Collection , Special Collections and Archives, Oviatt Library, California State University, Northridge

    Related Materials:

    Arrangement of Materials:

    Series I: Historical Information, 1954-1979
    Series II: Residents' Association Files, 1924-1986

    Scope and Contents

    The Laan Tau Mountain Camp Collection consists of notes and essays on the history of the camp and surrounding area, as well as the records of the Laan Tau Mountain Camp Residents' Association. The collection is divided into two series: Historical Information (1954-1979), and Residents' Association Files (1924-1986).
    Series I, Historical Information, includes a history of the Hongkong and Yaumati Ferry, which was used by campers to get to Lantau island where the camp was located, as well as a brief history of the camp from its inception to the 1970s compiled by Carter Morgan and including notes by Jean Moore, Mrs. D. Shilston, and G.S. Kennedy-Skipton.
    Series II, Residents' Association Files, consists of items relating to the founding, organization, and management of the camp. This includes correspondence, meeting minutes and agendas, records of cabin ownership, updates on construction and repairs, lists of meals served for the season, break-in reports, and annual updates on events happening at the camp.