Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Stockton and Copperopolis Station Plans
MS 25  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.63 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Stockton and Copperopolis Station Plans
    Dates: 1873-1891
    Collection Number: MS 25
    Creator/Collector: Stockton and Copperopolis Railroad Stockton and Visalia Railroad
    Extent: 1 half-box
    Repository: California State Railroad Museum Library
    Sacramento, California 95814
    Abstract: Station plans for the Stockton and Copperopolis and Stockton and Visalia Railroads.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the District Collections Manager. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    Stockton and Copperopolis Station Plans. California State Railroad Museum Library

    Acquisition Information

    Gift of Lynn D. Farrar, 1988

    Biography/Administrative History

    The Stockton Copperopolis Rail Road, 25.80 miles from Stockton to Milton, California, was incorporated October 11, 1865, as an independent company, with construction occurring between 1866 and 1871. The railroad operated on its own from about February 22, 1871, when the first section of the line was opened, until December 30, 1874. At that time the railroad was leased to the Central Pacific until consolidated with the Stockton & Visalia Rail Road (November 17, 1877) to form the Stockton & Copperopolis Railroad. •The Stockton & Visalia Railroad, 18.90 miles from Peters to Oakdale, California, incorporated as an independent company on December 16, 1869, with construction occurring between June and September 1871. The railroad operated on its own until December 30, 1874, as a branch of the Stockton & Copperopolis Rail Road, the former company owning both lines. The line was leased to Central Pacific from December 30, 1874, until consolidated November 17, 1877, with the Stockton & Copperopolis Rail Road to form the Stockton & Copperopolis Railroad. •The Stockton & Copperopolis Railroad was operated under lease by the Central Pacific Railroad from date of incorporation until April 1, 1885, and from that date until May 14, 1888 by the Southern Pacific Company when, along with sixteen other companies, it was consolidated with the Southern Pacific Railroad. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), p. 418-419].

    Scope and Content of Collection

    Bound volume (32 pages with miscellaneous papers laid in) of hand-drawn pen and ink and pencil station plans for the Stockton and Copperopolis, and Stockton and Visalia Railroads. Some notations and statistical data is also included. Cover stamped "W[illiam]. G. Curtis" who was a Southern Pacific Assistant General Manager and engineer, and superintendent of the Stockton and Copperopolis Railroad. The original maps are dated 1873 and 1874; notations date to 1891.