Guide to the University of California, Irvine, Media Services Department Video Recordings AS.020
Finding aid prepared by Audra Eagle Yun; Alix Norton; Sara Seltzer
Special Collections and Archives, University of California, Irvine Libraries© 2014
The UCI Libraries
P.O. Box 19557
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, California, 92623-9557
Title: University of California, Irvine, Media Services Department video recordings
Identifier/Call Number: AS.020
Contributing Institution: Special Collections and Archives, University of California, Irvine Libraries
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 12.4 Linear Feet (13 boxes)
Date (inclusive): 1965-1992
Abstract: This collection consists of 211 video recordings produced by the Media Services Department at the University of California, Irvine. It includes recordings of UCI events and subjects from 1965 to 1992.
Creator: University of California, Irvine. Instructional Resources Center.
Select items have been reformatted and have digital preservation copies. Access to original video recordings is restricted; researchers may request viewing copies.
Property rights reside with the University of California. For permission to reproduce or to publish, please contact the University Archivist.
Digital material is provided for private study, scholarship, or research. Property rights and copyright reside with the Regents of the University of California. For permission to reproduce or publish, or to correct this copyright information, please contact the University Archivist at the UC Irvine Libraries (firstname.lastname@example.org).
University of California, Irvine, Media Services Department video recordings. AS-020. Special Collections and Archives, The UC Irvine Libraries, Irvine, California. Date accessed.
For the benefit of current and future researchers, please cite any additional information about sources consulted in this collection, including permanent URLs, item or folder descriptions, and box/folder locations.
Inventory and preliminary processing done by Mary Ellen Goddard, ca. 1998-2000.
Transferred from Media Services Department, 1996, 1998.
The Media Services Department supports campus academic programs by providing comprehensive services relating to instructional technology production. From 1968 to 1975 the office was known as Instructional Media Services. In 1976 it became Audiovisual Office - Student Affairs. In 1984 the name changed to Media Services. In 1996 Media Services became a part of Undergraduate Studies - Instructional Development Services. As of 2013, the Media Services Department is known as the Teaching, Learning and Technology Center (TLTC).
This collection consists of 211 video recordings which are wholly or partially produced by the Media Services Department at the University of California, Irvine. They contain both rough footage and completed productions of UCI events and subjects. The videos are arranged by the following subjects, although there is some natural overlapping: Athletics, Beckman Laser Laboratory, Biological/Medical Sciences, Bren Events Center, Campus Promotion, Campus Shots/Tours, Celebrate UCI, Chancellor Daniel G. Aldrich, College Bowl, Commencement, Concert Under the Stars, Educational Opportunity Program, Engineering, Graduate Studies Honors Dinner, Inauguration of Chancellor Jack Peltason, Library, Pereira, Student Activities/Services, Teacher Education, Twenty-fifth Anniversary Celebration.
Videotapes are described in the "Container List" by title, date, or year (if known), length of recording (minutes and seconds), type of videotape (all are 3/4" video cassette), and whether the recording includes image or sound or both image and sound.
Select items are available for research at UCIspace @ the Libraries .
This collection is arranged in 24 series:
- Series 1. Athletics, 1983-1988 and undated
- Series 2. Beckman Laser Laboratory, 1983-1986 and undated
- Series 3. Biological/Medical Sciences, 1985-1988 and undated
- Series 4. Bren Events Center, 1985-1987 and undated
- Series 5. Campus Promotion, 1982-1992 and undated
- Series 6. Campus Shots and Tours, 1965-1986 and undated
- Series 7. Celebrate UCI, 1981-1991
- Series 8. Chancellors, 1984-1985
- Series 9. College Bowl Trivia Games, 1985
- Series 10. Commencement, 1989
- Series 11. Community planning and politics, 1977-1984
- Series 12. Concert Under the Stars, undated
- Series 13. Educational Opportunity Program, 1989-1992
- Series 14. Graduate School of Management, c. 1985
- Series 15. Graduate Studies Honors Dinner, c. 1990
- Series 16. Humanities, School of; 1988 and undated.
- Series 17. Library, 1977-1989 and undated
- Series 18. Pereira, William; 1985-1991
- Series 19. Physical Sciences, School of; 1988-1989 and undated
- Series 20. Presidential Symposium, 1976
- Series 21. Student Activities/Services, 1983-1991 and undated
- Series 22. Teacher Education, 1990 and undated
- Series 23. Twenty-fifth Anniversary Celebration, 1990
- Series 24. Women’s Resource Center, 1974
Subjects and Indexing Terms
University of California, Irvine. Instructional Media Services.
University of California, Irvine. Instructional Resources Center. -- Archives
University of California, Irvine. Teaching, Learning and Technology Center.
University of California, Irvine. -- Archives
University of California, Irvine. -- History -- 20th century -- Video recordings
Instructional technology -- California -- Irvine
Video recordings -- California -- Irvine -- 20th century.