Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Kenyon (Charles Patterson) Collection
Ms70  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (77.58 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Historical Sketch
  • Scope and Content
  • Access Points

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Kenyon (Charles Patterson) Collection
    Date: 1851-1974
    Collection Number: Ms70
    Location: Erickson Vault
    Extent: 1 linear foot
    Contributing Institution: San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
    11793 North Micke Grove Road
    Lodi, CA 95240
    Language of Material: Records written in English
    Abstract: The Charles Patterson Kenyon Collection contains material that documents the life, career, and retirement of the first administrator for San Joaquin County. It also includes bound volumes that were either owned or written by ancestors or relatives of Kenyon. Of particular note is a diary kept by Thomas Pitt, a great-grandfather of Kenyon on his mother's side, that chronicles a journey he took through California's gold fields between 1851 and 1852.

    Access Information

    Collection is open for research by appointment.

    Conditions of Use

    The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.
    Preferred citation: [Item name], Charles Patterson Kenyon Collection, Ms70, San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum, Lodi, California.

    Historical Sketch

    Charles Patterson Kenyon (1906-1994) was born in Stockton, California, to a family that traced its roots to California's Gold Rush. Educated in Stockton through his high school years, Kenyon began studies at the University of the Pacific after graduation but cut short his academic career to enter private business. In 1930, he was working for Standard Oil Company. Sixteen years later, he entered the employ of San Joaquin County, where he initially served as assistant to the county accountant and efficiency expert. In 1959, Kenyon became San Joaquin County's first administrator, a position he retained until his retirement in 1970. Kenyon's authority at the height of his career included jurisdiction over budgets, staffing, workloads, levels of service, data processing, and facility management. During his tenure, San Joaquin County constructed its third courthouse, which was dedicated in 1964.

    Scope and Content

    The focal point of the Charles Patterson Kenyon Collection is Kenyon's career as San Joaquin County's first administrator (1959-1970). The collection includes newspaper clippings, letters and certificates of congratulation, genealogical documents, photographs, and booklets and material published by the City of Stockton and San Joaquin County. Also held in the collection are published and unpublished books owned by Kenyon's grandfather and great-aunt, Thomas Kenyon and Elizabeth Kenyon, that date from the early twentieth century, and a diary that Thomas Pitt, Kenyon's great-grandfather, kept in the early 1850s. The material has been arranged alphabetically by subject.

    Access Points

    Personal Names

    Kenyon, Elizabeth
    Kenyon, Thomas
    Pitt, Thomas
    Kenyon, Charles Patterson, 1906-1994

    Subjects

    Gold Rushes--California--1850-1860
    San Joaquin County (Calif.)--History