Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Alameda & San Joaquin Railroad Company Legal Records
MS 697  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.08 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
This collection includes incoming and outgoing correspondence and legal documents prepared by the Stockton law offices of Woods & Levinsky on behalf of the Alameda & San Joaquin Railroad Company. There are also documents relating to the San Francisco & San Joaquin Coal Company and the Pacific Paving Company.
Background
The Alameda & San Joaquin Railroad was incorporated on May 1, 1895 to serve the coal mines of the San Francisco & San Joaquin Coal Company at Corral Hollow, California. The 36.6 mile line ran from Tesla (located in the hills south of the Altamont Pass) to the Stockton waterfront. Construction began in 1895 and was completed in January 1897. On July 25, 1903 the line was sold to the Western Pacific Railroad (WP). The A&SJ was dissolved November 30, 1908. WP used the line from Carbona to Stockton as part of its main line. The rest became the Carbona branch. WP removed the branch between Tesla and Walden in April of 1916, from Walden to Carnegie in January 1918, and back to Moy in September 1921. The 4.2 mile section from Moy to Carbona remained in operation until cut back to Teekey (2.0 miles) in 1952. This remainder wes removed in the mid-1980s, leaving only a short spur off the main line. The Stockton law firm of Louttit, Woods & Levinsky was formed in 1885. In December of 1894 Samuel Davies Woods and Arthur L. Levinsky joined to become Woods & Levinsky. This firm represented the Alameda & San Joaquin Railroad. Mr. Levinsky went into solo practice after 1901. He also acted as claims attorney for the Stockton Electric Railway Company, the Stockton Division of the Southern Pacific Company, and the Central California Traction Company.
Extent
3 boxes
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Availability
Collection is open for research