Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding aid to the San Francisco Department of Public Works Proposed San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridges Records 1916-1938 SFH 87
SFH 87  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (59.37 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Materials collected and arranged by the San Francisco Department of Public Works documenting the planning of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Includes newspaper clippings, reports, hearings, correspondence, journals, construction proposals and engineering plans, legislative documents, agreements, applications, contracts, resumes, boring and other technical data, blueprints, and photographs. Bulk of the collection consists of proposals and engineering plans of bridge design, circa 1926, when over a dozen proposals were being considered by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, though none were chosen as the final plan. Documents were created by companies competing for construction of the bridge, their engineers, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors reviewing the proposals, and the San Francisco Department of Public Works as represented by City Engineer M. M. O’Shaughnessy.
Background
The San Francisco Department of Public Works (DPW), launched in 1900, manages the design, building, and maintenance of city streets and infrastructure. During the years of planning for a Bay Bridge, their role, through City Engineer M. M. O’Shaughnessy, was collaborative with the Board of Supervisors, in selecting a site and plans. By 1926, over a dozen plans or proposals of differing routes, design, and cost had been filed with the San Francisco Board of Supervisors for review and selection. March 28, 1927, the Board of Supervisors created a board of independent engineers, with City Engineer M. M. O’Shaughnessy of the DPW - to study and report on the bridge issue. All applications were rejected by the Board of Supervisors at a meeting on July 31, 1928.
Extent
3 cartons (3.0 linear feet)
Restrictions
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
Availability
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.