The Carmichael Improvement Club formed in 1913 to "improve the general welfare and promote harmony and social unity" in the
newly established Carmichael Colonies, an area bounded by Walnut Avenue and Lincoln Avenue north of the American River northeast
of Sacramento. Over many decades, the club worked to improve roads, expand utilities and services, beautify public land and
host social events in the Carmichael community. This collection of administrative records, meeting minutes, correspondence
and newspaper clippings documents the administration and activities of the club from 1913-1963.
The Carmichael Colony Improvement Club convened its first meeting on January 25, 1913. The club's purpose was to "improve
the general welfare and promote harmony and social unity" in the Carmichael community. The newly settled Carmichael Colonies
1 and 2, which were approximately bounded by Walnut Avenue and Lincoln Avenue north of the American River northeast of Sacramento,
had fewer than 50 households at the time. The members of the Improvement Club dedicated themselves to improving roads, expanding
utilities and services, beautifying public land and hosting social events.
1 linear ft.
(2 archival boxes)
Use of the described materials may be subject to U.S. and international copyright laws. Permission for publication is given
on behalf of the Sacramento Public Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission
of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.