The Jewish Welfare Federation of San Francisco, Marin County, and the Peninsula records document decades of charitable giving
and fundraising for local San Francisco constituent agencies, as well as national and international organizations.
By the turn of the 20th Century, Jews in San Francisco, CA had formed more than a dozen charities to tend to the poor, sick,
widowed, orphaned, and elderly. After the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 devastated the city, a call for a local merger
of Jewish charities was issued in order to provide support and revive the community. In 1910, the Federation of Jewish Charities
(FJC) was officially established to manage the joint fundraising for 13 Jewish organizations in San Francisco. In 1922, the
FJC joined the Community Chest of San Francisco, a forerunner of the United Way. The Community Chest administered joint fundraising
for local charities, like the Federation, but for a larger constituency. However, the Community Chest did not provide funds
for religious organizations. As such, in 1925, the FJC established the Jewish National Welfare Fund (JNWF) to manage fundraising
for local religious agencies, as well as national and international organizations.
Number of containers: 77 cartons, 50 oversize boxes
Linear feet: 116.85 linear feet
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for
any use rests exclusively with the user.
Collection is open for research.