Finding Aid for the UCLA Brain Research Institute opening ceremonies scrapbook1961
Processed by and machine-readable finding aid created by UCLA Biomedical Library staff.
Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library History and Special Collections for the Sciences©2012
12-077 Center for Health Sciences
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1798
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Title: UCLA Brain Research Institute opening ceremonies scrapbook.
Date (inclusive): 1961
Collection number: 411
Creator: University of California, Los Angeles. Brain Research Institute
Extent: 1 v.
Repository: University of California, Los Angeles. Library.Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library History and Special Collections for the Sciences
Los Angeles, California 90095-1490
Abstract: Bound scrapbook with programs, letters, telegrams, clippings, and photographs mounted on leaves, commemorating the opening ceremonies of the UCLA Brain Research Institute, October 14-15, 1961, in Los Angeles, California. A nine-page typed statement by John D. French, M.D., founding Director of the Institute, provides a short history and description, and the major goals, of the new research institution.
Physical location: UCLA Biomedical Library History and Special Collections Locked Cage.
Language of Material: Collection materials inEnglish,Russian
Collection is open for research.
Property rights in the physical objects belong to the UCLA Biomedical Library. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish if the Biomedical Library does not hold the copyright.
[Identification of item], UCLA Brain Research Institute opening ceremonies scrapbook, 411, Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library History and Special Collections for the Sciences , University of California, Los Angeles.
Gift of Dr. Horace W. Magoun.
The following are pasted onto the 10x12" leaves of the scrapbook:
1. "UCLA's Brain Research Institute, 1961" by John D. French, M.D., Director, nine-page statement of history, organization, and goals.
2. Invitations, programs, general information, and campus map for the opening ceremonies.
3. Listing of the laboratories open to visitors during the ceremony weekend.
4. Program of the opening symposium, "Frontiers in Brain Research", which was chaired by T. H. Bullock and S. Roberts, with Opening Remarks by Vice-Chancellor F. H. Sherwood and Regent E. W. Pauley, featured speakers W. F. Windle, A. Fessard, S. S. Kety, Percival Bailey, J. H. Gaddum, G. W. Harris, H. Kluever, R. Hassler, and Summation by H. W. Magoun.
5. Letters of acceptance from the featured speakers.
6. Snapshot portraits of Vice-Chancellor Foster H. Sherwood, Dean Stafford L. Warren, Dr. Theodore H. Bullock, Dr. Sidney Roberts, Dr. John D. French, Dr. William F. Windle, Dr. A. Fessard, Dr. Seymour S. Kety, Dr. Percival Bailey, Dr. Donald B. Lindsley, Dr. Charles A. Sawyer, Dr. J. H. Gaddum, Dr. G. W. Harris, Dr. Rolf Hassler, Dr. W. H. Magoun, plus a formal portrait of Dr. Magoun
7. Typed list (C-Z only) of guests attending the opening ceremony (approx. 220 names).
8. Lists of 41 institutions from 18 foreign countries and 14 from the U.S. sending congratulations.
9. ca. 60 letters and 11 telegrams of congratulations from individuals unable to attend the opening.
10. A letter from Toni (Mrs. Ernest V.) Edwards to Dr. French is also included, regretting that she can not attend the party honoring Dr. Magoun on his new position as Dean of the UCLA Graduate School.
"Frontiers in Brain Research", ed. by John D. French. New York. Columbia Univ. Press, 1962. Papers presented at a symposium held at the opening of the Brain Research Institute, University of California, Los Angeles, Oct. 14-15, 1961. [UCLA Biomedical Library call no. WL 20 F888f 1962]
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
University of California, Los Angeles. Brain Research Institute.
French, John D. (John Douglas), 1911-1989.
Magoun, Horace Winchell, 1907-1991.