This collection includes the professional files of the following directors of the Lick Observatory: Edward S. Holden, William
Wallace Campbell, Robert G. Aitken, Albert E. Whitford, Robert P. Kraft, and George Herbig. Materials mostly include correspondence,
as well as reports, meeting minutes, subject and topical files, notes, publication reviews, and some research materials.
The Lick Observatory was completed in 1888 and continues to be an active astronomy research facility at the summit of Mount
Hamilton, near San Jose, California. It is named after James Lick (1796-1876), who left $700,000 in 1875 to purchase land
and build a facility that would be home to “a powerful telescope, superior to and more powerful than any telescope yet made”.
The completion of the Great Lick Refractor in 1888 made the observatory home to the largest refracting telescope in the world
for 9 years, until the completion of the 40-inch refractor at Yerkes Observatory in 1897. Since its founding in 1887, the
Lick Observatory facility has provided on-site housing on Mount Hamilton for researchers, their families, and staff, making
it the world’s oldest residential observatory.
20.42 Linear Feet
34 boxes, 6 oversize boxes, 1 flat file drawer
Property rights for this collection reside with the University of California. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained
by the creators and their heirs. The publication or use of any work protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use
for research or educational purposes requires written permission from the copyright owner. Responsibility for obtaining permissions,
and for any use rests exclusively with the user. For more information on copyright or to order a reproduction, please visit
Collection is open for research.