Record Series 242 contains publications generated by the University of California, Los Angeles, Graduate Division.
Graduate education leading to a Master's of Arts at UCLA was formally approved by the University of California's Board of
Regents on August 8, 1933 in San Francisco, California. A Graduate Council for the Academic Senate, Southern Section, was
established in 1934. By May 22, 1936, the regents authorized work leading to a Ph.D. degree in four departments: English,
History, Mathematics, and Political Science. In 1938, the Regents established the Graduate Division, Southern Section, which
was responsible for the administration of advanced degree programs of the Los Angeles, Riverside, and La Jolla campuses. In
1961, the Regents voted for the abolishment of the regional Graduate Divisions and Graduate Councils, permitting each campus
to establish its own Graduate Division and Council, headed by its own appointed Dean. Thus decentralized, the Graduate Division,
Southern Section, was replaced on campus by the Graduate Division, Los Angeles.
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University
Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish
or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.