Papers include correspondence, articles, speeches, manuscripts,
lab notes, charts, and computer printouts pertaining largely to his research interests
in the photosynthesis of purple bacteria, spectroscopy of plant pigments, and the
construction of spectroscopic equipment. Papers also include approximately 400 glass and
film slides of charts, graphs, plants, equipment, laboratories, and other
French, plant physiologist, was director of the Dept. of Plant Biology of the Carnegie
Institution, located on the Stanford University campus, from 1947 until his retirement
in 1973. Prior to his arrival at Carnegie, he taught at the Harvard Medical School, the
University of Chicago, and the University of Minnesota.
All requests to reproduce, publish, quote from, or otherwise use collection materials
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Special Collections and University
Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, California 94304-6064. Consent is
given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not
intended to include or imply permission from the copyright owner. Such permission
must be obtained from the copyright owner, heir(s) or assigns. See:
This collection is open for research.