Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
CENTRAL CALIFORNIA TRACTION COMPANY COLLECTION
MS 115  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (52.62 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: CENTRAL CALIFORNIA TRACTION COMPANY COLLECTION
    Dates: 1906-1944
    Collection Number: MS 115
    Creator/Collector: Central California Traction Company
    Extent: 2 boxes + 2 half-boxes
    Repository: California State Railroad Museum Library
    Abstract: Financial records of the Central California Traction Company.
    Language of Material: English

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director of Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

    Preferred Citation

    CENTRAL CALIFORNIA TRACTION COMPANY COLLECTION. California State Railroad Museum Library

    Acquisition Information

    Southern Pacific, Oriental Warehouse; Gift of Walter P. Gray

    Biography/Administrative History

    Chartered August 7, 1905; 55.68 miles between Stockton and Sacramento. The line was opened to Lodi on September 2, 1907, and to Sacramento on September 1, 1910. On January 1, 1928, it was acquired jointly by the Southern Pacific Company, Santa Fe and Western Pacific on condition that it sell its street car lines in Stockton to the Stockton Electric Railroad Company, a then wholly-owned Southern Pacific Company subsidiary which had been operating the street car lines for a number of years under lease. The first locomotive officially built at the Central Pacific shops in Sacramento, CP 2-55, later SP 1272 and 1516, was sold to CCT on May 4, 1910, and presumably disposed of when the line was electrified all the way through to Sacramento. Electrification ceased in 1946. [Guy Dunscomb, A CENTURY OF SOUTHERN PACIFIC STEAM LOCOMOTIVES, 1862-1962 (Modesto, California: 1967), p. 368]

    Scope and Content of Collection

    Most of the documents included in this collection are financial records from the 1920s and early 1930s. •There are a series of inventory and supply sheets, most dated "as of December 31, 1927" (although data for previous years and into 1928 may also be included), in both worksheet and final report format, used to create a record of CCT's holdings at the time of the Southern Pacific, Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and Western Pacific takeover. •There are some legal and financial records related to attempts to take over Central California Traction Company, as well as records of property ownership and leases. •A valuation report as of June 1914 lists the Central California Traction Company's physical upgrades, such as culverts, trestles, rails, ties, ballasts, fences and gradings, as well as equipment and tools in the shops and substations. •The materials are organized alphabetically by subject.