Since its inception, the Escondido Public Library has served the people and city of Escondido, California. The roots of the
Library are in the Escondido Drama Club, whose committee raised funds to create a library in 1891. After several years of
being moved to different locations, the first public library building was constructed in 1894. Since then, the Library has
grown to serve over 140,000 residents.
The collection was first acquired in 1991 and has had multiple accessions, the last in 2012.