The collection contains the records of the business, governance, membership, and community affairs of the governing administration
terms for the Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco from 1855-1889. The Superiors who lead the four administrations
during this time were Mother Mary Teresa Comerford, PBVM (1855-1868), Mother Mary Xavier Daly, PBVM (1868-1874), Mother Mary
Augustine Phelan, PBVM (1874-1883), and Mother Mary Xavier Daly, PBVM (1883-1889). There are no records from the administration
of Mother Mary Joseph Cronin, the first Superior appointed to the San Francisco Sisters of the Presentation in 1854.
Presentation Archives preserves, organizes, and makes accessible for research the historical records of the life and activities
of the Sisters of the Presentation, San Francisco congregation. The Sisters of the Presentation is a religious order of Roman
Catholic Sisters founded in Cork City, Ireland, in 1776, by Nano Nagle. Five sisters from Middleton, County Cork made the
first foundation in the United States in San Francisco on November 13, 1854. Within one year, three of the five returned
to Ireland and the remaining two, Mother Mary Teresa Comerford and Sister Mary Joseph Cassian established a convent on Powell
Street. They operated free schools for girls, including African and Native Americans, from 1857 to 1869. In 1879, an autonomous
convent, known as Sacred Heart Convent, was established on Taylor Street. This was followed in 1878 by a convent in Berkeley
and Sonoma in 1882. The four houses were amalgamated in 1888, and incorporated into a single entity. The sisters’ ministry
focus has historically been education with newer thrusts in areas of social and pastoral ministries. Since 1965, the congregation
has participated in hospital, parish and community development work in the United States, and in Central and South America.