The Collection for the History of Cartography was founded in 1971 by Roy V. Boswell and Ernest W. Toy, Jr., to provide a resource
for scholarship and education in the history of cartography. The collection of 1500 maps illustrate the major themes in the
history of cartography from c. 1375 to 1901, and it also comprises a large number of reference and scholarly works in cartography,
geography, exploration, and navigation.