The Richard H. Pitman papers span 13 linear feet and date from 1930 to 1957. The collection contains letters and correspondence
concerning the building of the Sansom Clinic in Santa Barbara, the Marymount School remodeling in Santa Barbara, the Saint
Andrews Episcopal Church remodeling in Honolulu, Hawaii, as well as the Mr. and Mrs. Robert Ball and the Hamilton residences
in Santa Barbara. The majority of the collection consists of architectural drawings and reprographic copies of residences,
as well as civic and commercial buildings in the Santa Barbara region.
Richard H. Pitman was born in O’Fallon, Missouri on November 30, 1887, although he spent the majority of his childhood living
in San Jose, California. He attended Washington University in St. Louis as well as Oakland Poly Tech. Pitman went on to work
for the firm Polk and Polk in San Francisco. He then moved to Santa Barbara, in 1917, to work for James Osborne Craig on the
Plaza de la Guerra restoration. After James Craig’s death in 1922, Pitman became as associate of Carlton Monroe Winslow. In
the few years before his retirement Pitman worked independently. Richard H. Pitman died in 1964.
13.0 Linear feet
(1 record storage box, 4 flat file drawers)
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.