Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
A guide to the Ephemera from the Wheelhouse of the Eureka (built 1890; ferry), 1925-1980
HDC0252 (SAFR 17385)  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.21 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Access
  • Publication and Use Rights
  • Processing Note
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Historical or Biographical Note
  • Collection Scope and Content
  • Collection Arrangement

  • Title: Ephemera from the Wheelhouse of the Eureka (built 1890; ferry)
    Date: 1925-1980
    Identifier/Call Number: HDC0252 (SAFR 17385)
    Creator: Unknown
    Physical Description: 20 items.
    Repository: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park, Historic Documents Department
    Building E, Fort Mason
    San Francisco, CA 94123
    Abstract: Ephemera from the Wheelhouse of the Eureka (built 1890; ferry) (SAFR 17385, HDC 252) consists of twenty items including timetables, advertisements and newsclippings. The collection is available for research use without restriction.
    Physical Location: San Francisco Maritime NHP, Historic Documents Department
    Language(s): In English.

    Access

    This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.

    Publication and Use Rights

    Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.

    Processing Note

    The descriptions in this collection guide were compiled using the best available sources of information. Such sources include the creator's annotations or descriptions, collection accession files, primary and secondary source material and subject matter experts. While every effort was made to provide accurate information, in the event that you find any errors in this guide please contact the reference staff in order for us to evaulate and make corrections to this guide.
    Please cite the title and collection number in any correspondence with our staff.

    Preferred Citation

    [Item description], [Location within collection organization identified by Collection Number/Series Number/File Unit Number/Item Number], HDC0252 (SAFR 17385), Ephemera from the Wheelhouse of the Eureka (built 1890; ferry), San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park

    Acquisition Information

    SAFR-00001
    This collection was transferred from Golden Gate National Recreation Area to San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park.

    Historical or Biographical Note

    EUREKA was built in 1890 at Tiburon, CA for the San Francisco and Northern Pacific Railway. Her original name was UKIAH. The ferry originally carried commuters between San Francisco and Tiburon during the day and hauled railroad freight cars at night. In 1907, UKIAH was re-routed to the Sausalito-San Francisco Ferry Building route by her new owners, Northwestern Pacific Railroad.
    During World War I, UKIAH carried munition-filled rail cars for the war effort. After the war, UKIAH needed extensive repair. In 1923, UKIAH was rechristened EUREKA, and was converted to an automobile ferry, on the Sausalito run.
    EUREKA was removed from service in 1957, one year before the SAN LEANDRO made the last transbay ferryboat run. In 1958, EUREKA joined the fleet of historic ships now on display at the San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park. Eureka is the only surviving wooden-hulled ferryboat.

    Collection Scope and Content

    Ephemera from the Wheelhouse of the Eureka (built 1890; ferry) (SAFR 17385, HDC 252) consists of twenty items including timetables, advertisements and newsclippings. The collection is available for research use without restriction.

    Collection Arrangement

    Items are arranged into two folders.