Scope and Content
Title: Historic Monterey
Date (inclusive): between 1900 and 1910
Collection number: 94/9
1 album (21 photographic prints) : gelatin silver ; 15 x 20 cm (album)
Photographs are mounted on leaves of heavy gray paper, one to a page, with captions below in ink.
Bound in black cloth album; gray endpapers; manufacturer's label on inside rear cover of the Heinn Specialty Company of Milwaukee,
Spec. Coll. copy: in beige cloth clamshell box (17 x 22 cm).
Abstract: Small album of 21 amateur glossy sepia photographs of buildings, landscapes, and historical sites in and around Monterey,
Language: Finding aid is written in
Language of the Material:
Materials are in English.
University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections.
Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library Special Collections
for paging information.
Restrictions on Access
Open for research. STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library
Special Collections for paging information.
Restrictions on Use and Reproduction
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UC Regents. Literary rights, including copyright, are retained by the
creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright
owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold the copyright.
[Identification of item], Historic Monterey (Collection 94/9). UCLA Library Special Collections, Charles E. Young Research
Scope and Content
The album opens with a view of rowboats on the beach of Monterey Bay; there is also a view of the beach in Pacific Grove.
Historical sites documented include the old custom house, built by Spain in 1814, inherited by Mexico, and finally claimed
by the United States in 1846; the landing place of Father Junipero Serra on June 3, 1770; the old Pacific Hotel, built in
1834, and the Washington Hotel, dating from 1832; Colton Hall, first capitol building of California where its first convention
was held Sept 1, 1849; the sandstone church of San Carlos, the Royal Presidio Chapel in Monterey, completed in 1794 on the
site of the original San Carlos Borromeo mission which had been moved to Carmel in 1771, a year after its founding by Junipero
Serra; and Santa Clara Mission, founded 1777. The photographer has also documented some early Monterey buildings: the first
brick house in California (1847), the first theater in California, where Jenny Lind sang (1847), and the first wooden building
in California, constructed in 1849 with lumber from Australia. Also pictured is the home of Robert Louis Stevenson, located
at 530 Houston Street, and the Casa de los Cuatro Vientos or House of Four Winds, built in 1835, the first house to have a
weathervane on its roof; it later became the first Hall of Records for Monterey County, and also served as Gen. Halleck and
Gen. Sherman's headquarters during the Civil War. There are photos of the giant redwoods in the Big Trees Park in the Santa
Cruz Mountains (now called Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park), the Memorial Arch at Stanford University, completed in 1899,
and the Sherman Rose Tree in Monterey.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
Stevenson, Robert Louis, 1850-1894 --Homes and haunts --Photographs.
Royal Presidio Chapel (Monterey, Calif.) --Photographs.
Santa Clara Mission --Photographs.
Colton Hall (Monterey, Calif.) --Photographs.
Stanford University --Photographs.
Hotels --California --Monterey --Photographs.
Redwoods --California --Photographs.
Suspension bridges --California --Photographs.
Monterey (Calif.) --Buildings, structures, etc. --Photographs.
Monterey Bay (Calif.) --Photographs.
Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park (Calif.) --Photographs.
Genres and Forms of Material
Gelatin silver prints.
Other Index Terms Related to this Collection
Heinn Company (Milwaukee, Wis.)