The Santa Susana Field Laboratories
(SSFL) was established by Rockwell International in 1946. SSFL comprises approximately
2,700 acres located in the southeastern section of Ventura County. Rocket engine testing
began at the SSFL in the 1940s. Research conducted at SSFL since its activities began
has proved to generate hazardous waste.Two major investigations (1982 and 1990) have
been completed and continual oversight activities of the area by the U.S. Department of
Energy and the Regional Water Control Board have closely documented the cleanup
activities at SSFL. In December 1996, Rocketdyne Division of Rockwell, as well as the
Santa Susana Field Laboratories became a subsidiary of Boeing North American, Inc. The
collection includes action plans, assessment and investigative reports, and bimonthly
and quarterly monitoring reports conducted by various environmental consulting firms and
The Rockwell International Corporation established the Santa Susana Field Laboratories
(SSFL) in 1946. SSFL comprises approximately 2,700 acres located in the southeastern
section of Ventura County. The site is adjacent to the western edge of the San Fernando
Valley just west of Chatsworth, extending to the western edge of the San Fernando Valley
in the Simi Hills. Communities surrounding the site include Santa Susana Knolls, Bell
Canyon and Lakeside Park.
122.50 linear feet
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection has not been transferred to California State University,
Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or
reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of
the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.