The Oakland Tribune is a daily newspaper published in Oakland, California. Founded in 1874 by George Staniford and Benet A. Dewes as The Tribune, William Dargie bought the newspaper in 1876, and officially changed its name to the Oakland Tribune in 1891. Dargie ran the newspaper for 35 years, until his death in 1911. Joseph R. Knowland bought the Oakland Tribune from Dargie's widow, Hermina Peralta Dargie in 1915 and became the newspaper's president, publisher and editor, positions
that he held for almost 50 years. After buying the newspaper, Knowland also started the radio station KLX in 1921 (which the
family sold in 1959) and moved both businesses into the Tribune Tower in downtown Oakland in 1924. Knowland's eldest son,
Joseph Russell "Russ", served as Assistant Publisher of the Oakland Tribune until his death in 1961; upon his brother's death, William Knowland became heir to the newspaper, taking over as publisher
after his father passed away in 1966. Upon his death in 1974, William left the newspaper operations to his children, Joseph
Knowland and Emelyn Jewett. The Knowland family sold their interests in the Oakland Tribune a few years later, in 1977, to Combined Communications Corporation. The newspaper has been sold many times since leaving
the Knowland family's control, from Combined Communications Corporation to Gannett to Robert and Nancy Maynard to the Alameda
Newspaper Group, and is currently part of the Bay Area News Group (formerly the Alameda Newspaper Group).
Materials in this collection may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for
any use rests exclusively with the user.