The Equator (built 1888; tugboat) photographs, 1983, (SAFR 24815, P16-009) are comprised of color slides showing the tugboat
EQUATOR, a former two-masted schooner, hauled out at the Port of Everett in Everett, Washington. The collection has been processed
to the Collection level and is open for use.
EQUATOR was built in 1888 as a two-masted schooner by Matthew Turner in Benicia, California. The vessels served as a Pacific
copra trader until 1895. During this time, author Robert Louis Stevenson chartered the vessel in 1889 for a voyage in the
South Pacific. In 1896, EQUATOR was sold to serve in the Alaska fishing trade. She was converted into a steam cannery tender
the following year. In 1915, the Cary-Davis Tug and Barge Company of Seattle, Washington, purchased EQUATOR for use as a tugboat.
EQUATOR was abandoned in 1956 in Everett, Washington. In the 1960s there was interest in restoring the vessel and she was
hauled ashore in 1967. She was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. However, restoration efforts were
abandoned and in 1980 EQUATOR was moved to the Port of Everett where she now resides under a protective shed. Source: Historic
American Engineering Record. Schooner Equator written historical and descriptive data (HAER No. WA-206).
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other
case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.