Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
UCSF Cornerstone Collection
AR.2015.09  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.96 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The cornerstone of the medical school, laid on March 27, 1897, was comprised of a copper box which functioned as a time capsule. The copper box was unearthed and cut open in March of 1967 when the building was torn down. Collection includes materials related to the cornerstone time capsule, including publications and memorabilia buried inside it, as well as publications commemorating the centenial of the medical school.
Background
The original UCSF Medical School Building was completed in 1898 and torn down in the spring of 1967. The building was erected to consolidate the Affiliated Colleges onto Parnassus Avenue. The site was donated by the mayor of San Francisco, Alfred Sutro, in 1895. The cornerstone of the medical school, laid on March 27, 1897, was comprised of a copper box which functioned as a time capsule. The copper box was unearthed and cut open in March of 1967 when the building was torn down.
Extent
2.05 Linear Feet 1 carton, 2 manuscript boxes, and 1 oversize folder.
Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the Library and Center for Knowledge Management. All requests for permission to publish or quote from material must be submitted in writing to the UCSF Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Library and Center for Knowledge Management as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.
Availability
Collection is open for research.