The Michael D. Eisner College of
Education Collection consists of the records of the college, and previous education
courses offered throughout CSUN's history. Records include correspondence,
accreditation reports, annual reports, department meeting agendas, program brochures,
event fliers, newsletters, handbooks, course information, and histories of the college
and education in the San Fernando Valley.
Education courses were first offered in Northridge in 1955, with the establishment of
the college campus as a branch of Los Angeles State College. The Division of Education
offered credentials and master's degree courses largely in elementary education,
and was the largest division on campus. In 1958, when the campus separated from Los
Angeles State College to become San Fernando Valley State College, the Division of
Education began offering additional courses to train secondary school teachers. The
Division was reorganized in 1964 to become the School of Education, with departments in
Educational Administration, Psychological Foundations, Elementary Education, Secondary
Education, Social and Philosophical Foundations, and Special Education. In 2003, the
School of Education was renamed the Michael D. Eisner College of Education in honor of a
donation made by The Eisner Foundation.
Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s)
of this collection belongs to California State University, Northridge. Copyright
status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials
protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use
requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public
domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners.
Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
The collection is open for research use.