Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Arthur Benton photograph collection, circa 1880-circa 1919 0000111
0000111  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.11 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Arthur Benton photograph collection consists of 0.5 linear feet of black-and-white photographs, negatives and postcards that date from circa 1880 to circa 1919. Interior and exterior stills of Benton’s residential designs comprise the majority of the collection; however, there are photographs and postcards of Inns and Town Plazas designed by Benton, as well as photographs taken of various California missions prior to restoration.
Background
Arthur B. Benton was born on April 17, 1858 in Peoria, IL. After receiving his education at the School of Art and Design in Topeka, Kansas, Benton relocated to Omaha, Nebraska where he worked as a draftsman in the chief engineer’s office of the Union Pacific. A year later, Benton moved to Los Angeles and by 1893 he began a partnership with William C. Aiken. Three years later, in 1896, Benton bought out his partner and remained solo for the rest of his architectural career. That same year Benton joined the Los Angeles Landmarks Club and focused much of his energy on preserving the Spanish Colonial Missions of California. His preservation work influenced his architectural design, which can be seen in: the Glenwood Mission Inn located in Riverside, California, The Arlington Hotel in Santa Barbara, the Arrowhead Hotel located North of San Bernardino, the Mission Playhouse in San Gabriel, and the San Marcos Hotel in Arizona. Many credit him for pioneering the Mission Revival Style. Benton’s commissions did not only consist of civic, residential, and commercial projects, but also, several Episcopal churches in the Los Angeles area. His last major work was the Riverside Municipal Auditorium, which was completed in 1927. Arthur Benton passed away at the age of 69, on September 18, 1927.
Extent
0.5 Linear feet (1 Box)
Availability
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.