Construction costs, bills, invoices, and other financial records for the Maricopa & Phoenix Railroad and the Maricopa, Phoenix
& Salt River Valley.
Organized in 1886, the Maricopa & Phoenix Railroad was built with Southern Pacific backing from the Southern Pacific's main
line at Maricopa Wells, Arizona, north through the farming community of Tempe to Phoenix. The Maricopa & Phoenix began operation
in July 1887, and continued under that name until December 1895, when it was consolidated with the Phoenix, Tempe & Mesa Railway
(built 1894-1895 between Phoenix and Mesa, eight miles to the east). The new company bore the name Maricopa & Phoenix & Salt
River Valley Railroad. This company was sold in July 1907, and in January of the following year was taken over by the second
Maricopa & Phoenix Railroad, a subsidiary of the Southern Pacific. Two years later, the Maricopa & Phoenix became a part
of another Southern Pacific company, the Arizona & Eastern Railroad.
Copyright has not been assigned to the California State Railroad Museum. All requests for permission to publish or quote from
manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Capital District Collections Manager. Permission for publication is given
on behalf of the CSRM as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright
holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.