The Louis J. Gill papers span 14 linear feet and date from circa 1911 to circa 1955. The collection contains architectural
drawings and reprographic copies of primarily San Diego structures designed by Louis Gill; as well as, newspaper and magazine
clippings organized by project, Gill’s professional stationary and handwritten notes regarding architectural projects, black-and-white
photographs, and disbound-scrapbook pages filled with black-and-white photographs.
Louis J. Gill was born on May 9, 1885 in Syracuse, New York. He graduated from Syracuse University in 1911 and moved to San
Diego later that year. Just out of school, Louis Gill began working at his Uncle Irving Gill’s architectural firm as a draftsman.
By 1913, Louis Gill was promoted to chief draftsman and a year later formed a partnership with his uncle known as Gill and
Gill, Architects. During this time, Louis Gill assisted on the designs of the La Jolla Women’s Club, the Community House for
the Playground in the Scripps Group located in La Jolla, and the Ellen Scripps residence. In 1919, Gill and Gill, Architects
dissolved and Louis formed his own independent firm and completed many notable projects in the San Diego region, such as,
the Dr. Harry Wegeforth residence, the Sacred Heart Church in Coronado, Mission Hills Congregational Church, St. James-by-the-Sea,
Rees-Stealy Clinic, John W. Mitchell Art Gallery in Coronado, residences in the San Diego area, and was hired as the architect
for the San Diego Zoo. Louis J. Gill helped form the San Diego Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. In 1955, he
retired after a 44 year long career in San Diego. Louis J. Gill died on August 19, 1969, at the age of 84.