Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid for the Don Jose de la Guerra Portrait Album C012169
C012169  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (54.64 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The album contains photographs of (presumably) the family and descendants of Don Jose de la Guerra.
Background
Don Jose de la Guerra was born in SPain in 1779. At the age of 13, he immigrated to Mexico City to live with his uncle Pedro Gonzales de Noriega. He went to work for Lt. Col. manuel Carcaba, the first paymaster general of the presidial troops of the Californias in 1793. Within five years he was made a cadet at the Presidio of San Diego, marking the beginning of his illustrious military career in California. Between 1800 and 1807, he served the city of Monterey as ensign of the presidial company, lieutenant, habilitado, administrator of mail, and acting comandante. He married Antonia Carrillo (daughter of Raimundo Carrillo) in 1804. In 1806, he was given the position of presidio comandante in Santa Barbara. He then served in San Diego as lietenant, habilitado, and acting comandante between the years of 1807 and 1815. De la Guerra served in Santa Barbara as lieutenant and captain between 1815 and 1827, while maintaining his position as presidio comandante in that city until 1842 when he retired from military service. Over the years, de la Guerra both purchased and was granted over 500 thousand acres of California land, including the land stretching from the southern border of San Louis Obispo to the southern boder of the County of Ventura. Other grants included land in Marin and Sacramento. Among his ranchos were Simi, Las Posas, El Conejo, San Julian, and Los Alamos. "El Capitan," as he is widely known in California, passed away in 1858. (Information gathered from California State Military Museum: http://www.militarymuseum.org/delaguerra2.html) Christina and Millie McCoy (also spelled McKoy), conjoined twins featured in the album, were born of slaves on Alexander McCoy's plantation in Columbus Coutny, North Carolina in 1851. At ten months old, the girls were sold by McCoy to an agent who eventually sold them to showman Joseph Pearson Smith. Smith educated and trained the girls as performers. The twins, called "The Two-headed Nightingale," grew famous not only as a sideshow novelty (featured for a while in P.T. Barnum's show), but as talented singers and musicians. The twins died in 1912, after millie caught Tuberculosis. (Information gathered from American National Biography Online: http://www.anb.org/articles/20/20-01879.html)
Extent
1.0 volume 1 album (95 photos)
Restrictions
There are no restrictions on access.
Availability
Collection open for research.