Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Cal Poly Pomona Fiftieth (50th) Anniversary Records
0010  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (110.52 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Conditions Governing Use
  • Preferred Citation
  • Immediate Source of Acquisition
  • Biographical / Historical
  • Scope and Contents
  • Arrangement
  • Related Materials
  • Processing Information

  • Title: Cal Poly Pomona Fiftieth (50th) Anniversary Records
    Creator: California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. 50th Anniversary Committee
    Identifier/Call Number: 0010
    Contributing Institution: California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. Special Collections and Archives
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 11.67 Linear Feet (16 boxes)
    Date (inclusive): 1981-1991, undated
    Abstract: Cal Poly Pomona celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1988. The records document commemorative events and programming held during the 1988-1989 academic year and include administrative papers, correspondence, financial records, photographs, memorabilia, and materials for an unrealized time capsule.

    Conditions Governing Access

    Advance notice required for access.

    Conditions Governing Use

    Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.

    Preferred Citation

    [Box/folder# or item name], Cal Poly Pomona Fiftieth (50th) Anniversary Records, Collection no. 0010, University Archives, Special Collections and Archives, University Library, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.

    Immediate Source of Acquisition

    Transferred to the University Library by the Office of University Advancement.

    Biographical / Historical

    The school that would eventually become Cal Poly Pomona was established in 1938 at the former site of the Voorhis School for Boys in San Dimas, California. Charles Voorhis, the founder of the Voorhis School, donated the campus to the state of California in 1938 with the understanding that it would serve as the southern branch of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. The Voorhis Unit, as the site became known, operated as a satellite of Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for the next 18 years.
    The state received another generous donation during this period—the Kellogg Ranch in nearby Pomona. The Ranch served as an Army Remount Depot during World War II and was converted into the Kellogg Unit of Cal Poly in 1949. The Voorhis Unit had grown to near capacity by this point and plans were made to move all instruction to the Kellogg campus. The move was completed in 1956 and the site was referred to as the Kellogg-Voorhis campus.
    The Kellogg-Voorhis campus separated completely from San Luis Obispo in 1966 and became the 16th campus to join the California State College System. The school changed its name to California State Polytechnic University, Kellogg-Voorhis to emphasize its connection to the CSC system and adopted its final name change, to California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, in 1972.
    In 1988, Cal Poly Pomona celebrated its 50th anniversary. Preparations for commemorative events began as early as 1984 and the Office of University Advancement formed the 50th Anniversary Committee to oversee the planning, development, and implementation of these events. Ronald R. Simons, then Associate Vice President for Development and Alumni Affairs, was appointed committee chair. Simons, also known and "Mr. Cal Poly" graduated from the university in the early 1960s and served as a university administrator for 40 years.
    A variety of events and programs celebrating the 50th anniversary took place throughout the 1988-1989 academic year. In addition, the 50th Anniversary Committee commissioned 50th anniversary branded souvenirs, publications, and promotional materials.

    Scope and Contents

    The collection contains records documenting the planning, development, and implementation of events and programs celebrating Cal Poly Pomona's 50th anniversary. The records include meeting agendas and minutes, correspondence, financial records, photographs, memorabilia, and materials collected for an unrealized time capsule.

    Arrangement

    The collection is organized into the following series: 1. Papers; 2. Financial Records; 3. Photographs; 4. 50th Anniversary Memorabilia; and 5. Time Capsule

    Related Materials

    The Donald H. Pflueger Cal Poly Pomona History Papers, Collection no. 0007, includes research materials for and correspondence regarding Pflueger's book California State Polytechnic University, Pomona—A Legacy and a Mission. Pflueger had worked on this history of Cal Poly Pomona for many years and was given a grant by Ronald R. Simons to complete it in time for the 50th anniversary.

    Processing Information

    The collection was arranged and described by Elizabeth Olvera under the supervision of Alexis Adkins in 2017.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    California State Polytechnic University, Pomona -- History
    California State Polytechnic University Pomona University Advancement
    Simons, Ronald R.