The Live Oak School Records include annual reports issued by administrators and teachers, as well as registers that list students
by grade level, how often they attended and were ill, and their grades. The registers in the collection also elaborate policies
and guidelines issued by the State of California for the conduct of teachers, students, and district administrators.
Live Oak School district officially came into existence on February 9, 1864. At that time, the school was located west of
Cherokee Lane, in Lodi. Reports from that period suggest that the schoolhouse had only one room, in which a single teacher
watched over approximately fifty students. The district expanded in size and the number of students under its jurisdiction
over the next eighty years. In 1949, it opened the doors of a newly constructed schoolhouse on Wyandotte Road (later, Bear
Creek Road) that boasted 14,600 square feet. Over the next twenty years, the number of students who attended Live Oak School
continued to grow, and in 1967 it was absorbed into the Lodi Unified School District. Live Oak School closed its doors for
the last time in the summer of 2011.
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary
Collection is open for research by appointment.