Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Finding Aid to Potrero Women's Club Records SFH 64
SFH 64  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (78.38 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Arrangement
  • Provenance
  • Scope and Contents
  • Organizational History
  • Processing Information note
  • Access

  • Title: Potrero Women's Club Records
    Identifier/Call Number: SFH 64
    Contributing Institution: San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 2.24 linear feet 1 carton, 1 flat box
    Date (inclusive): 1929-2011
    Physical Location: The collection is stored onsite.
    Languages represented: Collection materials are in English.
    Abstract: These records document the history of the Potrero Women's Club from its inception in 1908 to 2011. Included are constitutions and bylaws, meeting minutes, membership and financial records, certificates, newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence, a scrapbook, and other club records documenting its social activities and service projects.
    creator: Potrero Women's Club.

    Publication Rights

    All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Potrero Women's Club (SFH 64), San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library.

    Arrangement

    Arranged at the folder level by type of record.

    Provenance

    This collection was donated by Margaret Rice of the Potrero Women's Club in Dec. 2011.

    Scope and Contents

    Records documenting the history of the Potrero Women's Club from its inception in 1908 to 2011. Included are constitutions and bylaws, meeting minutes, membership and financial records, certificates, newspaper clippings, photographs, correspondence, and a scrapbook documenting the club's social activities and service projects in the Potrero Hill neighborhood of San Francisco.
    The run of meeting minutes provides a window onto the club's social and civic activity from the 1940s through the 1980s and includes letters written to city departments and community organizations. The scrapbook, created in 1990 by club member Anne Loskutoff, consists mostly of snapshot photographs of members at various club events, such as a costume party held in 1958 for the club's 50th anniversary, as well as several Christmas celebrations. It also documents the club's participation in the war relief effort during World War II. Another item of interest is a poem included inside the Treasurer's Ledger, written about club members in 1955.

    Organizational History

    In February of 1908, a group of Potrero Hill women met to discuss ways to improve their neighborhood's quality of life, as well ways as to provide services to those San Francisco residents who had been displaced by the 1906 earthquake and fire and were living in temporary housing around Potrero Hill. This informal meeting led to the organization of the Potrero Women's Club, which held its first official meeting on April 10, 1908 at the Nurses' Settlement on 19th and Iowa Streets in San Francisco.
    In the succeeding years, the group has focused on improving the Potrero Hill neighborhood by working with community organizations and city officials, such as the Department of Public Works and the Board of Supervisors. For example, the club advocated for the construction of the Potrero Hill Playground and Recreation Center on Arkansas Street by writing letters to the Recreation Department. Club members also served on the Honorary Citizens' Committee for the dedication of the playground. In 1961, the club took part in a protest against the construction of Highway 101 through the Potrero Hill neighborhood. The club has also held fundraisers and dinners to raise money for charitable organizations, such as the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, and the San Francisco Heart Association.
    The club has maintained a longstanding relationship with the Potrero Hill Branch of the San Francisco Public Library. Besides holding club meetings at the Potrero Branch library for many years, the club has also donated several books and magazine subscriptions and contributed recipes to the 1950s Potrero Cook Book produced by the Friends of the San Francisco Public Library. The club also requested an American Flag, which was presented to the library in 1979 by Supervisor Robert Gonzales. In recognition of their service to the city of San Francisco, Mayor Art Agnos declared February 10, 1988 'Potrero Women's Club Day' in San Francisco; the club was also featured in The Potrero View in recognition of the its centennial in 2008. The Potrero Women's Club continues to remain active in its community.

    Processing Information note

    Melissa Stone completed the processing of this collection in 2012. During processing, the pages of the scrapbook in the collection were replaced. Materials on the pages were placed on archival folder stock with acid-free photocorners and then placed in inert polyester sleeves. Information found written on the back of materials in the scrapbook was transcribed and included.

    Access

    The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Potrero Hill (San Francisco, Calif.)
    Women--Societes and clubs