Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Warner's Ranch Collection MS 156
MS 156  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (55.86 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Conditions Governing Access
  • Conditions Governing Use
  • Preferred Citation
  • Processing Information
  • Biographical / Historical Notes
  • Scope and Content
  • Arrangement
  • Comments

  • Title: Warner's Ranch Collection
    Identifier/Call Number: MS 156
    Contributing Institution: San Diego History Center Document Collection
    Language of Material: English
    Physical Description: 0.5 Linear feet (1 box)
    Date (inclusive): 1851-1960
    Abstract: The collection consists of records relating to the area of land in Valle de San Jose in San Diego County known commonly as “Warner’s Ranch.”
    Language of Materials: Collection materials are in English and Spanish.
    creator: Union Title and Trust Company.

    Conditions Governing Access

    This collection is open for research.

    Conditions Governing Use

    The San Diego History Center (SDHC) holds the copyright to any unpublished materials. SDHC Library regulations do apply.

    Preferred Citation

    Warner's Ranch Collection, MS 156, San Diego History Center Document Collection, San Diego, CA.

    Processing Information

    Collection processed by Amanda Hughes on February 7, 2013.
    Collection processed as part of grant project supported by the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) with generous funding from The Andrew Mellon Foundation.

    Biographical / Historical Notes

    Warner’s Ranch refers to a tract of land totaling 45,000 acres in the Valle de San Jose in San Diego County, also sometimes called Valle de Val. It was settled by Jonathon Trumbull Warner originally of Connecticut. Warner traveled west in 1830 and became a Mexican citizen in 1836 when he married Anita Gale and changed his name to Juan Jose Warner. He was granted to rights to Warner’s Ranch by the Mexican Governor in 1844. In 1851, the United States Government issued a patent confirming Warner’s ownership of the ranch. That same year Warner and his family left the Ranch and moved to Los Angeles due to his wife’s illness. At that time, he sold all but a few tracts of land to John Raines. Raines died in 1862 and the land entered probate. The ranch was sold off piecemeal until John G, Downey began buying all of the land, a process that took over 10 years. John Downey subsequently died in 1894 and all but two tracts of land were left in the hands of his heirs; John Downey Harvey, Eleanor Martin, Walter Vail, Peter Martin, Walter Martin and Genevieve Riley. The remaining two tracts were owned by Henry Gage.

    Scope and Content

    The collection consists of records relating to Warner’s Ranch. There are two volumes of the abstract of title of Warner’s Ranch from 1851 through 1904. The volumes cover deed sales, mortgages, lawsuits with local Indian tribes and several probate proceedings. Also included are documents relating to the exact location of the Butterfield Stage stop in Warner’s Ranch and a petition for a school district to be established in Warner’s Ranch and the surrounding areas.

    Arrangement

    Collection is arranged by subject.

    Comments

    Material added to collection from Document Files Collection; Warner's Ranch file.

    Subjects and Indexing Terms

    Butterfield Stage Line.
    Downey, John G.
    Gage, Fannie
    Harvey, John Downey
    Phillips, Louie
    Raines, John
    Vail, Walter
    Warner, J. J. (Juan Jose), 1807-1895
    Abstracts of title
    Administration of estates
    Cupeno Indians
    Deeds
    Estates (Law)
    Land titles
    Mortgages
    San Diego (Calif.)
    San Diego County (Calif.)
    Stagecoach lines
    Warner's Ranch (Calif.)