Finding Aid for the Ralph Waycott collection of papers the regarding Appleton/Waycott house, 1950-2007 0000311
Finding aid prepared by Chris Marino
Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
Arts Building Room 1434
University of California
Santa Barbara, California, 93106-7130
Title: Ralph Waycott collection of papers regarding the Appleton/Waycott house (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Identifier/Call Number: 0000311
Contributing Institution: Architecture and Design Collection, Art, Design & Architecture Museum
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 3.5 Linear feet (1 box and 2 rolls)
Date (inclusive): 1950-2007
creator: Waycott, Ralph
Partially processed collection, open for use by qualified researchers.
Gift of Ralph Waycott III, 2011.
Ralph Waycott collection of papers regarding the Appleton/Waycott house (Los Angeles, Calif.), Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
The Appleton/Waycott house is the product of three architects. The original adobe structure was built in 1925 for the Gillis family and included a living room, small dining room, kitchen, guest bathroom, bedroom, and bathroom. Between 1925 and 1941 an addition was made to the property, which was a separate structure of Spanish Colonial Revival design. After WWII, the Gillis family sold the house to the Appleton family. The Appleton family hired architect Cliff May to integrate the two structures on the property, in order to create a much larger home, which was built in the late 1940s. The Waycott family purchased the house from the Appletons.
The Ralph Waycott collection of papers regarding the Appleton/Waycott house spans 3.5 linear feet and dates from 1950 to 2007. The collection is composed of papers, including correspondence, reports and legal documents, photographs, drawings (some copies from the Cliff May papers at the Architecture and Design Collection), maps, and reports, gathered by Ralph Waycott III, regarding the history of the Appleton/Waycott house and the 1925 Robert Gillis adobe hunting lodge that was part of the original fabric of the house. Cliff May expanded the original Gillis lodge for Francis Appleton in 1946-1948, making a 5-bedroom house. The Waycott family purchased the house in the 1950s.
After the death of the elder Waycotts, the neighbors in Sullivan Canyon tried to declare the house a Historic Cultural Monument. Waycott gathered these materials to contest the application.
Cliff May papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
May, Cliff, 1908-1989